FS:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15800
JA:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15817
FS:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15818
JA:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15826
JC:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15832
FS:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15857
FS:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15858

Frederik, List,

I don't see that we differ much on the question of Peirce's realism,
not so much on the question of what he knew as when he knew it, maybe.
I have never bought that multi-stage story of Peirce's development as
much as others do.  The way I read him, he started out writing technical
works for audiences trained in mathematical and scientific disciplines.
They may not have had quite as much mental flexibility as he assumed but
their natural dispositions and practical training possessed them of that
basic "scientific attitude" that I tried to thumbnail sketch recently on
a not unrelated thread.  This had the effect that Peirce simply did not
have to articulate a whole of lot of assumptions that were already taken
for granted by his audience.  That would have been a case of "teaching
grandpa to suck eggs", as the folksy idiom goes.  As various not-so-simple
twists of fate would have it, one of the big things that changed with the
passing years was the increasing diversity of audiences that he addressed,
and I think this accounts for a greater share of the variance in what he
wrote than is widely acknowledged.  Just for instance, the acceptance of
"real possibles" that makes up the bread-and-butter of probability theory
and statistical inference would hardly need arguing in those early papers
with the same dogged insistence it took to justify it to later audiences.

Regards,

Jon