> On Apr 3, 2015, at 12:16 PM, Steven Ericsson-Zenith <ste...@iase.us> wrote:
>
> So, for example, these "over simplifications" by the Circle that Clark
> mentions really need to be seen as an exploration of rigor and are not
> rightly a source of criticism in my view.

I’m not sure the rejection of metaphysics was merely an exploration of rigor.
Plus, it’s better to acknowledge metaphysics so you can at least pay attention
to where it’s affecting you than deny it which just puts it out of sight and
out of mind. It’s that oversimplification of use of the pragmatic maxim that I
think Peirce avoided. While he noted it would sweep a lot of metaphysical crud
away, he clearly didn’t think it would remove metaphysics.

There are of course still debates over whether Peirce’s pragmatic maxim and his
scholastic realism are compatible. I tend to see them working essentially
together but I know many disagree. Without that scholastic realism I fear you
end up with a kind of extreme nominalism that was common in the circle. But
again I best bow out since I’m now talking my memories of conclusions I once
arrived at. The passage of time is such that trying to rederive why I concluded
them isn’t something I can reargue. So I’ll go quiet on this lest I dig myself
a hole.