Dear Franklin, Cathy, Lists -

A small clarification: Peirce's BxD=A idea, I think, should not be taken a
device for the arithmetic calculation of exact information size - it is rather
the proposal of a general law relating Breadth and Depth. His idea comes from
the simple idea that when intension is zero, there is no information, while
when extension is zero, there is also no information - and that is the relation
of the two factors in a product.  (It is a bit like his first Boole-inspired
definition of universal quantification as a product - he defines truth as 1,
falsity as 0,  then, in order to be true, each single case of a universal
proposition should be true - if any single one of them is false, the total
product of them all will be zero.)
The BXD=A idea allows him to investigate what happens if intension or extension
are in- or decreased, etc. - even if not being able to express that in precise
numbers.

Best

Den 20/04/2015 kl. 01.14 skrev Franklin Ransom