At 12:57 AM 4/23/2015, Joseph Brenner wrote:
Peirce's 'lumping' of the alleged opposites of induction and abduction is, rather the recognition that the opposition between them is not so absolute, and indeed they have 'a common feature'. Further, if the criterion for judgement is only the effectiveness of the arguments they yield, this is not the difference between yes and no. This is my answer to Howard's question.

Thank you, Joseph, for a very pragmatic answer with which I agree. I still prefer to think of induction and abduction as a case of complementarity -- two logically incompatible views, both irreducible one to the other, but both necessary in the search for truth..

Howard