Dear Catherine, List,
All I want to put in is my opinion, that there are two kinds -or basic parts- of metaphysics, clearly distinguished: One is experience (axioms), and the other is tautology (mathematics). Ok, mathematics too is based on axioms, but axioms are nothing but themselves, and dealing or calculating with them is nothing but tautology- no matter what interesting things are coming out. So, I doubt that there can be different competing theories of logic. Logic is tautology, I think. All that might be different, is the premises: The axioms, the experiences. Is that so?
Best, helmut

Von: "Catherine Legg" <cl...@waikato.ac.nz>

Jeff your post strikes me as a very helpful cordoning off of our inquiry from psychologistic approaches, and it would be most beneficial if it were heeded more widely in our contemporary context.

But then you write:

"... philosophers who want to model their inquiries on a scientific approach need to think hard about how they might use something like an experimental method to find the truth about these kinds of questions.

Having developed competing theories of logic, we can then see what kinds of metaphysical theories naturally follow from such competing accounts.  In turn, we can see if the competing theories of logic and metaphysics square with the ongoing practice and results of the different special sciences...."

What do you mean by developing competing theories of logic? What would be an example?

Thanks, Cathy