Dear Stephen, Stephen, List,
Stephen C. Rose, I like your poem very much. I think, that "The heart is new" means, that it is reconnected to something very old, namely to a universal principle, like the term "religion" means reconnection. It is also "new", because it (the new heart) newly is letting go of some cultural rules or habits- which may be old too, but not as old as the universal principles. These universal principles, eg. justness, may be classified as divine, if and because it is not possible to identify them as habits (like cultural habits), so they seem to be installed (or have been "a priori" for some other reason) from the very beginning. I tentatively identify them with (mathematical) axioms, such as transitivity, symmetry, and so on. Stephen Jarosek, I think, that karma is based on universal principles too, in this case derived from the axiom transitivity, because "karma" is often explained as "law of cause and effect" in Buddhism. And I think, that deduction and efficient cause is based on transitivity. So I do not completely agree to your identification of karma with culture, because culture is mostly meant like habits, and not like something universal- though of course, I think, that there must be some universal principle too in culture, eg. in the nature of communication. Well, the term culture in this context is difficult, because it is more often used to distinguish, not to find similarities between ways of communication in groups of people.
Cheers, Helmut

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 29. April 2015 um 17:47 Uhr
Von: "Stephen C. Rose" <stever...@gmail.com>
An: "Stephen Jarosek" <sjaro...@iinet.net.au>
Cc: "Peirce List" <Peirce-L@list.iupui.edu>
Betreff: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Triadic Philosophy Jesus and the Pragmatic Maxim
Hi Stephen...I think you're better schooled than I on these connections. I think Peirce is relevant universally without being explicitly tied to anything. When he gets tied it seems folk get involved in telling others what Peirce meant by this and that. I can imagine what this might be like to him. I suspect that for all his desire for recognition he saw a downside to it. Claiming Peirce or even claiming to represent his thought -- well claiming anyone is a problem. I go by his own skepticism about the durability of the individual when assumed to be the be and end all. I like the notions of the East but at the same time I like the lost elements of Christianity, the ones that got wrung out when creeds became necessary to regulate gnostic misbehavior and such. The future lies I think with nonviolence, continuity and fallibility. Peirce got two out of three. As far as semiotics goes I do not have understanding of it. I think it has to do with the fact that more than language is involved with communication which is obvious. I think maybe your perspective is a good pretension buster. Cheers, S