Sorry, Helmut - I've no idea what you are talking about. 

I don't think that 'time' is reversed when the ranger thinks about the wolf 
having smelled the rabbit before it caught the rabbit. Because one thinks about 
what has taken place before -now, doesn't mean that TIME is itself reversed! 
Time isn't physically connected to an event.

And I don't know what your reference to the categories implies; I think that 
you often have a confused understanding of the categories - but- I won't go 
into them.

Edwina
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Helmut Raulien 
  To: Edwina Taborsky 
  Cc: biosemiotics ; PEIRCE-L 
  Sent: Sunday, June 28, 2015 2:58 PM
  Subject: Aw: Re: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Can we integrate physics, biology, and 
philosophy ?


  Thank you, Edwina! Sorry for my mistake: When in reality a wolf smells a 
rabbit, and then eats it, and a ranger sees the eating wolf and thinks: "The 
wolf must have smelled the rabbit", time is virtually reversed somehow, but not 
the categories.
  Best,
  Helmut
    

   "Edwina Taborsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
   
  Helmut - try EP:2, pp 480-481. And the CP, Vol. 8, ..all the parts to Lady 
Welby.

  See also an interesting article:
  http://see.library.utoronto.ca/SEED/Vol6-1/Farias_Queiroz.pdf

  Edwina
    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Helmut Raulien
    To: Sungchul Ji
    Cc: biosemiotics ; PEIRCE-L
    Sent: Sunday, June 28, 2015 12:11 PM
    Subject: Aw: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Can we integrate physics, biology, and 
philosophy ?

    Sung,
    I am glad, that my post you did not find too inadequate, as I have not yet 
read your attachment (with my old computer that cannot read DOCX- So I will go 
to the internet-cafe). I am not sure about what I wrote- that reflexion turns 
time around (virtually, in the mind), and also provides the possibility that 
there is a secondness and thirdness of firstness (in a virtual way or system: A 
mind). So now I am asking: Does anybody know about the ten classes of signs in 
a semiosis with immediate object (object of the mind)? I sometimes have read, 
that Peirce has written about these, and that the ten classes with immediate 
object are different. But I havent found the text by Peirce.
    All the best,
    Helmut
      

    "Sungchul Ji" <[email protected]> wrote:
     
    Helmut,  
      
    Thanks for your thought-provoking ideas, and I am glad you brought up 
Peirce.
     
    To me, Peirce is connected with the diagram in at least two ways:

    (1) Peirce used numbers and matrices in expressing logical statements [14], 
which justifies including "semiotics" as a target of Step e in the diagram. (I 
would love to hear from Jon what he thinks about this step.)  The modified 
diagram is attached to this email.

    (2)  Physics, biology, and philosophy may be viewed as an example of the 
irreducible triad of Peirce.  If so, the set of physics, biology, and 
philosophy may be considered as constituting a category (or a commutative 
triangle):


                                               f
                               Physics -----> Biology
                                      \                   |
                                         \                |
                                            \             | g
                                      h        \         |
                                                    \     |
                                                      V V
                                                Philosophy



    or, more conveniently,



                                     f                        g
                    Physics -------> Biology -------> Philosophy
                         |                                                    ^
                         |                                                    |
                         |__________________________|
                                                   h

    Figure A.  The postulate that physics, biology, and philosophy constitute 
an irreducible triad of Peirce.
                     The commutative conditions, f x g = h, is thought to be 
satisfied in many universes of 
                      discourse.
                      f  =  origin of life, evolution (natural processes)
                      g =  origin of mind (mental processes)
                      h =  constraining influence of natural laws; information 
flow
     
    One way to express the content of Figure A in words would be:

       "Physics determines biology and biology determines philosophy            
            (062715-1)
       in such a way that philosophy becomes consistent with physics."

    Statement (062715-1) may not be valid under all circumstances but only 
under some carefully prescribed contexts.

    All the best.

    Sung


      
    On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 11:14 PM, Helmut Raulien <[email protected]> wrote: 
      Sung, Lists, 
      I think, in medieval time it was integrated, because it all was but 
abduction (they even burnt witches because of abductive inferment). 
Disintegration took place because science invented/explored wishful complete 
induction, and deduction. Now, as abduction is firstness, induction secondness, 
and deduction thirdness, and Peirce said, that secondness consists of firstness 
and secondness of secondness, and thirdness consists of first-, second-, and 
thirdness of thirdness, maybe this is the path to reintegration: Eg. 
Heisenbergean uncertainty (firstness of thirdness?). Philosophy still is 
firstness (guessing) somehow, but has taken a lot of advantage from science and 
logic- so, as a reflective science (reflexion-time- reversely)., I would say, 
there is secondness and thirdness of firstness- well, virtually 
(reflected)-time- reversely. I mean, isnt that so, isnt the reflecting mirror a 
spatial 3D- "axis" of reflexion turning around the time flow direction between 
reality and (mind-) virtuality? So it is all three modes going to and fro, a 
happy family, physics, biology, philosophy reunited. 
      Best,
      Helmut
        

       "Sungchul Ji" <[email protected]> wrote:
       
      Hi, 

      Physics, biology, and philosophy are well established disciplines that 
cover a major portion of all human knowledge.  The natural question that arises 
is 

      "Are physics, biology, and philosophy related ?  If so, how ?"            
                                                                (062615-1)

      My tentative answer to this question is Yes, because I now begin to see 
how this challenging task might be accomplished -- along the lines indicated in 
the scheme I recently formulated (see attached).  The title of the scheme is

      "An argument-symbolic-legisign that integrates physics, biology, and 
yin-yang philosophy."                            (062615-2)

      The scheme is not yet complete and may contain some illogical elements 
which need be identified and corrected.  If you have any questions or 
suggestions, please let me know.

      All the best.

      Sung

      -- 
      Sungchul Ji, Ph.D.

      Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology
      Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
      Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
      Rutgers University
      Piscataway, N.J. 08855
      732-445-4701

      www.conformon.net
      ----------------------------- PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" 
or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go 
to [email protected] . To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but 
to [email protected] with the line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the 
message. More at http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .
      

    -- 
    Sungchul Ji, Ph.D.

    Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology
    Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
    Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
    Rutgers University
    Piscataway, N.J. 08855
    732-445-4701

    www.conformon.net



----------------------------------------------------------------------------




    -----------------------------
    PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON 
PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . 
To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with 
the line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .



     
-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to