> On Aug 12, 2015, at 7:15 PM, Benjamin Udell <bud...@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>
> It's quite possible that I'm wrong-headed about it, but Is this inversion by
> the idea of constructors a difference that makes a difference? What is it
> beyond rephrasing?
>
> Peirce found plenty of modalism in the ordinary language or thinking of
> physics. If something is conditionally necessary or fated in the sense of a
> physical law, how does it help to express it _more_ modally for any reason
> besides perhaps increased clarity? I mean, how does it result in new
> predictions or help somebody do physics? If you have a bunch of physical
> structures constraining possibilities in the same way, that's called a law.
> Peirce saw generals, laws, etc., as governing individuals, not vice versa to
> any significant extent. Why shouldn't Peirce have thought of the idea of
> constructors as an effort to rephrase modal realism in approximately
> nominalist terms?

(Sorry for the delay answering - I know a lot of discussions go back and forth
multiple times a day. I’ll probably be a few days between posts simply due to
work commitments.)

It does seem to be a pretty big difference. I recognize by that comment you’re
asking about empirical differences. In that sense it’s attempting to explain
the same phenomena of course. The analogy might be to the three formulations of
mechanics (Newton, Lagrangian, Hamiltonian) and asking what practical
difference there is between the three. Yet there are metaphysical differences
that I think do make a difference in terms of what’s fundamental. Certainly
once we moved to the beginnings of quantum mechanics there were practical
differences as formulating QM in Newtonian form was quite difficult (although
one can interpret virtual particles in Feynman diagrams as a kind of
Newtonian-like formulation of QM)

With regards to Constructor Theory I don’t know enough about it to argue
minutiae. However it seems that you look at the structure of the system (the
generals) and what physical ways the system can be configured. You then
calculate laws from this. As I said one can do this in thermodynamics already
and some textbooks will actually due this calculation. So in terms of
differences it seems to me that there are big calculative differences. Rather
than having a mysterious ontological law we instead calculate in terms of
physical differences.

This to me seems exactly the type of difference we see between say the
positivists forms of verification (either the 19th century form or the Vienna
Circle form) and the type favored by Peirce with his Maxim (as opposed to the
more expansive form we find in James). While Peirce saw the Maxim as flushing
away a lot of nonsense metaphysics he also thought it would enable us to
distinguish certain kinds of metaphysics. The types of practical differences he
saw was precisely the sorts of practical measuring of phenomena a scientist
might do. In this case we have a difference in how we make measurements and
calculations.

So there may be some valid criticisms of the theory, and perhaps even in terms
of the problem of practical differences. Yet I don’t think the Maxim discounts
this as meaningful. (Although perhaps some positivists might, although I
suspect a Carnapian might appeal to language systems to show it is still
intelligible)