Gary R, lists,

You wrote:

"Following a suggestion made by Ben Udell many years ago when I was writing
a paper which, in part,
meant to distinguish between these sign types and classes, I sometimes
refer to sign 'types' as 'parameters'
as being closer to Peirce's meaning.

This is also why I reject Sung's 'quark model' of semiotics, because the 9
classes are *not* analogous to                         (121115-1)
elementary particles in being 'thing-like' and quasi-individual, but,
again, are the *mere *parameters of the
10 possible signs which *might *be embodied, that is, the 10 classes."

I agree that <the 9 types are not analogous to elementary particles in
being 'thing-like'>.  No one on this list would conflate "signs" and
"particles" in this manner, since that would be akin to conflating
*semiotics* and *physics*. But what I did say was that these 9 types are
"analogous to quarks in being subject to a hypothetical force  or obeying
the principle of gauge invariance". Both these concepts, "force" and "gauge
invariance", can be applied *analogically *and *qualitatively *outside
physics*,  *for example, to Romeo and Juliet, although they are not protons
and electrons.

All the best.

Sung