OK, thanks, Jerry. I don’t disagree. It may well be worthwhile to look at
metalanguage to understand further what is going on in the process of
hypostatic abstraction. I would want to look at the difference in how something
is represented and what it is, as I suggested in my response below. This itself
involves semiotics, of course, giving the issue an involuted*, but  that makes
it complex in Robert Rosen’s sense of involving irreducible impredicatiivity
(Essays on Life Itself). It would follow that it can’t be dealt with fully in
1st order logic. My suggestion (below) was to go to 2nd order logic (which
quantifies over properties), following Ramsey’s method (used in structural
realism and some other forms of structuralism), but this has known problems
itself. Perhaps the basic problem is that 2nd order logic is incomplete, and
thus impredicative. The bump in the rug doesn’t go away easily.

I suspect that there is no way to deal with it fully, but I think it is still
helpful to think of the grammar of  semiotic properties in terms of relations
by using Peirce’s hypostatic abstraction.  Switching back and forth can help to
get past the issues of the particular language, which are not essential to the
subject. As for any possible application to the logic of chemistry, that is
outside of my areas of expertise, but I would guess that shifting back and
forth between chemical properties and relations via hypostatic abstraction
might be informative by eliminating some accidents of representation system.
That is just a guess on my part, though.

*From the Free Dictionary:
1.
a. The act of involving.
b. The state of being involved.
2. Intricacy; complexity.
3. Something, such as a long grammatical construction, that is intricate or
complex.

John Collier
Professor Emeritus, UKZN
http://web.ncf.ca/collier