Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: Harold Orbach <h...@ksu.edu<mailto:h...@ksu.edu>>
Date: February 16, 2016 at 10:26:50 AM CST
To:
"online_sadhu_sa...@googlegroups.com<mailto:online_sadhu_sa...@googlegroups.com>"

<online_sadhu_sa...@googlegroups.com<mailto:online_sadhu_sa...@googlegroups.com>>
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] RE: [Sadhu Sanga] Re: 'Why Biology is Beyond Physical
Sciences?' – Published in Journal 'Advances in Life Sciences'

Perhaps, instead of this idle speculation you ought to consider the
confirmation of Einstein's hypothesis of gravity waves that has now been
confirmed and reconfirmed of black holes engulfing other black holes and its
implications for "life" over time in the universe.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 16, 2016, at 9:43 AM, Stephen Jarosek
<sjaro...@iinet.net.au<mailto:sjaro...@iinet.net.au>> wrote:

>” I think we need to be humble at this early stage of our knowledge about the
>universe. It could well be that intelligent life is plentiful. And of course
>unintelligent single cell life would be even more plentiful. Also it could be
>that fancy life is rare.”

I see an interpretation emerging that might enable us to be a bit more bold.
Here’s what we know with some certainty:

        1) The elements and compounds as they exist on Earth are probably the
same elements and compounds that are likely to exist elsewhere throughout the
universe;
        2) The elements and compounds as they exist on Earth are “engineered”
with very precise properties that make life possible. We saw this in this video
clip<https://youtu.be/FzcTgrxMzZk> that I posted a couple of weeks ago. The
astonishing complexity within a cell would be impossible without the very
precise properties of the same “dumb dirt” that is likely to exist on other
planets throughout the universe;
        3) It is the persistence of complexity across time that renders null
and void any notion of persistent complexity by dumb luck. Entropy and all
that. How do we know this? We know this because we inhabit a planet where
complexity persists across time... the evidence is all around us, in our very
own persistence across time. It therefore follows that the same resistance to
entropy, the same persistence of complexity, will be abundant in any direction
we might care to point our telescopes;
        4) Within the context of Peircean biosemiotics, there exists the
framework for the mind-stuff – the “knowing how to be” - that resists entropy.

CONCLUSION: So long as a moderately-sized planet, rich in elements and
compounds, exists within a “habitable zone” around a star, the “dumb dirt” of
which it is comprised will predispose it to become a living, breathing planet.
Life is the universal given... a certainty, not just a “possibility” or “maybe”.

sj