Dear Olga, List,

Science has both advantages and limitations due to its method. On the advantage
side, one can come up with ideas galore, but to be accepted as scientific they
have to be tested and alternative explanations of the phenomena be shown to not
provide an explanation. This requires that a) all scientific hypotheses must be
falsifiable, b) there must be methods for testing these hypotheses (not quite
the same as (a)), and c) due to the mutual dependence of (a) and especially (b)
on other assumptions (called “auxiliary assumptions” in most places, science
has to progress piecemeal based on previous scientific knowledge. Science is
also subject to major shifts (revolutions) when we have ignored evidence (e.g.,
the properties of the very small as found in quantum mechanics) or
misinterpreted it (e.g., Mercury’s precession values). Typically, though, much
of established science is retained at least as an approximation in any new
theory. I could add a lot (found in Kuhn, Feyerabend and other
anti-reductionist-empiricists) about how science can progress in order to add
to scientific knowledge, but it would take too long here. Suffice to say that
these things further limit point (b). On the disadvantage side, the problems
follow from the same factors, especially (b) and (c), since it means that
science must proceed piecemeal, and at any given time there will be large areas
that are not accessible to current science with it current methods and
presuppositions. Much of this area to which current science is blind is exactly
there area that is of most interest in our human pursuits. I might add that
when science does try to deal outside of its current scope it often gets into
trouble. I am thinking in particular of recent work that shows that fMRI
(functional magnetic resonance imaging) has serious problems as it has been
used in at least thousands of important neuropsychological studies, meaning
they will need to be done over again, at the very least. This is hardly the
only example, just one that is currently shaking things up. At least, though.
The very methods of science can (and did in this case) find such problems and
show how to correct them. The biggest strength of science is not its scope or
ability to find general truths about the world, but its self-correcting
character.

When dealing with things outside the scope of science, and even inside (given
the fallibility of science) other areas of human knowledge are need. They are
what we can fall back on. Myth, religion, literature, philosophy and so on can
be very useful as long as we don’t place them on the same level of precision
and  verifiability as we can science.

I think it helps even in these areas, though, to keep some of the scientific
attitude and remain somewhat skeptical of untested results, taking them as at
best tentative (and not God-given or from some other source of certainty). Our
past experience has shown us that almost none of these other areas are
universal for all space and time, or even between cultures.

So even if science has its built in limitations, and is far from being able to
answer all the questions we might have about humans in the world, elements of
the scientific attitude are still very helpful. But I think it would be to
throw the baby out with the bathwater to just ignore everything that doesn’t
meet current scientific standards.

I haven’t discussed the abuse of science, which like other sources of power
gets misused by powerful and/or charismatic people, but it is  a danger that at
least science itself is in principle capable of meeting through it very methods.

John Collier
Professor Emeritus and Senior Research Associate
University of KwaZulu-Natal
http://web.ncf.ca/collier