Dear Charles,
     Myecologist Paul Stamets describes ways trees and other plants have
communication through fungal networks. They provide something like a neural
net would for a brain.
     Perhaps one could say that trees have a "brain" without needing a
brain. And that humans, despite having brains, can be utterly brainless
when it comes to deforesting the earth.
     Here is a video on fungi where Stamets reports some of his work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAw_Zzge49c
     Cheers,
     Gene Halton

On Sep 16, 2016 9:33 AM, "Charles Pyle" <charlesp...@comcast.net> wrote:

> There's increasing evidence to show that trees are able to communicate
with each other. More than that, trees can learn.

> If that's true — and my experience as a forester convinces me it is —
then they must be able to store and transmit information.

> And scientists are beginning to ask: is it possible that trees possess
intelligence, and memories, and emotions? So, to cut to the quick, do trees
have brains?

> It sounds incredible, but when you discover how trees talk to each other,
feel pain, nurture each other, even care for their close relatives and
organise themselves into communities, it's hard to be sceptical.

> The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They
Communicate—Discoveries from a Secret World

> Are trees social beings? In this international bestseller, forester and
author Peter Wohlleben convincingly makes the case that, yes, the forest is
a social network. He draws on groundbreaking scientific discoveries to
describe how trees are like human families: tree parents live together with
their children, communicate with them, support them as they grow, share
nutrients with those who are sick or struggling, and even warn each other
of impending dangers. Wohlleben also shares his deep love of woods and
forests, explaining the amazing processes of life, death, and regeneration
he has observed in his woodland.