Hi Gary F., Terry, List,

Here are three diagrams I am using to explore the relations of determination
between signs, objects and interpretants in the 10-fold classification (circa
1903 in the "Nomenclature and Division of Triadic Relations, So far as They are
Determined").

The small roman numerals in the first colored diagram are an attempt to follow
the order of the relations of determination, and to work out some features of
the key relations (e.g., of reference and representation) that are determined
according to these ordered patterns (or, more mathematical terms, paths).

The main idea I am trying to develop in the two colored diagrams is that there
are really two different sorts of triadic relations that result from the
relations of determination between objects, signs and interpretants. He makes
this clear in the middle of the page 290 in the EP, vol. 2. As far as I can
tell, little has been said about this this double feature in Peirce's account.
I'm highlighting this double feature with the branching arrow giving rise to
two sorts of triadic relations on the bottom half of the page.

Peirce says:

"Triadic relations are in three ways divisible by trichotomy, according as the
First, Second, or Third Correlate, respectively, is a mere possibility, and
actual existent, or a law.
There will be besides a second similar division of triadic relations into ten
classes, according as the dyadic relations which they constitute between either
the First and Second Correlates, or the First and Third, or the Second and
Third are of the nature of possibilities, facts, or laws; and these ten classes
will be subdivided in different ways."

If you would, let me know if these diagrams help at all to clarify what he
might be saying here in NDTR--and/or where the diagrams might be leading me
astray.

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor