From: Jon Alan Schmidt [mailto:jonalanschm...@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, 15 October 2016 8:24 PM
To: Peirce-L <peirce-l@list.iupui.edu>
Subject: [PEIRCE-L] Pragmatic Maxims (was Peirce's Cosmology)

Per Gary R.'s request, I am shifting this discussion to a new thread topic.  I
would appreciate it if others would do likewise when extending any of the other
ongoing conversations about pragmatic maxims or other subjects besides Peirce's
cosmology.

There seems to be a confusion here between "the pragmatic maxim," which is a
very specific principle of methodeutic with multiple formulations in Peirce's
writings, and "the best pragmatic maxim," which is not something that Peirce
ever discussed as far as I can tell.  In particular, CP 5.189 is not the
pragmatic maxim, nor even a pragmatic maxim in the same sense, so it is
certainly not the best pragmatic maxim.  For one thing, as we established
recently in another thread, it is the form of inference for abduction only, and
thus falls under logical critic.  The pragmatic maxim subsequently serves as a
tool for admitting hypotheses that are amenable to deductive explication and
inductive evaluation, and rejecting those that are not.

In any case, there is no need to guess or speculate which pragmatic maxim
Peirce had in mind when he wrote the following ...

That is, pragmatism proposes a certain maxim which, if sound, must render
needless any further rule as to the admissibility of hypotheses to rank as
hypotheses, that is to say, as explanations of phenomena held as hopeful
suggestions; and, furthermore, this is all that the maxim of pragmatism really
pretends to do, at least so far as it is confined to logic, and is not
understood as a proposition in psychology. (CP 5.196; 1903)

... because he told us in the very next sentence.

For the maxim of pragmatism is that a conception can have no logical effect or
import differing from that of a second conception except so far as, taken in
connection with other conceptions and intentions, it might conceivably modify
our practical conduct differently from that second conception.

www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt<http://www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt> -
twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt<http://twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt>

On Sat, Oct 15, 2016 at 12:14 PM, Jerry Rhee