Helmut, List,

Thanks for this, Helmut. When I was studying comparative and inter-religion
for about a decade a couple of decades ago, I found the distinction
'esoteric' vs 'exoteric' of help, for example, in such a discussion as
we're having. Your pointing to what some scholars refer to as the esoteric
dimension of religion (Sufism in Islam, Kabbala in Judaism, Meister Eckhard
and certain other mystics in Christianity, Zen in Buddhism, etc.) would
seem to reflect that distinction.

And I believe that you are also quite right to point to the religious
practices of probably many people who want something other than a 'vague'
concept of God to, as for example, you mentioned, to pray to, namely, a
more personal God. There are places where Peirce suggests as much, while in
the N.A. and the early cosmological discussions, e.g., that in RLT (1898),
it seems to me that he has a somewhat different, at least
*quasi*-scientific--but
certainly, logical--goal in mind.

In any event, religious tolerance (which in my thinking includes tolerance
of agnosticism and atheism) is for me a desideratum, one often lacking in
especially our public discourse.

But these are just a few idle thoughts thrown off quickly as I am currently
dealing with some personal matters which need my full attention. I'll want
to think further on these matters over the next few days, but will probably
have little time to respond online.

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]