From: Jerry LR Chandler [mailto:jerry_lr_chand...@mac.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 31 January 2017 6:09 AM
To: John Collier <colli...@ukzn.ac.za>; Peirce List <peirce-l@list.iupui.edu>
Cc: Eric Charles <eric.phillip.char...@gmail.com>; Helmut Raulien
<h.raul...@gmx.de>
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Nominalism vs. Realism

John:

Thanks for your interesting and provocative insights.

By way of background, I have compared the various theories of nominalism and
realism for more than 20 years.  I find your values deeply embedded in the
assertion that one is a weaker hypothesis than the other.  Often, nominalists
appeal to the role of authority, historical precedence.  (Think of the role of
precedence in our legal and political systems.)

Some points of your post deserves to be highlighted.

Peirce thought we could get out of this by abduction, but empiricists don't
allow this as part of logic. Nominalism says nothing else about the real
essence of things. Realists have to add something in order to make their
claims. Empiricists typically claim that we don't need anything more to do
science.

1.      Scientific empiricism, as I understand it, is virtually independent of
any concern about abduction.  In physics, chemistry and politics, empiricism
seeks ways to justify past, present or future events.  (Often, with the aid of
statistics.)

Agreed.

2. “Names”, as I pointed out, are critical to the logic of chemistry.  Each
chemical identity is an individual polynomial.  It is not historically or
grammatically possible to completely separate the concept of  nominalism from
the concept of names, is it?  The thread connecting the concept of nominalism
to names may be weak, but it cannot be completely ignored.

Nominalism is grounded in a view of naming that it is arbitrary. Putnam and
Kripke argue against this by arguing that the name should follow what Locke
called the real essence. I don’t think that this was enough, since both retain
some sort of verificationism and thus leave themselves open to my arguments
from my thesis. Putnam explicitly calls his view internal realism, in contrast
to metaphysical realism. Putnam’s view is a sort of nominalism. To reject it we
need some sort of argument to the effect that naming is not arbitrary. Causal
descriptivism is often invoked for this purpose (David Lewis, for example), but
I don’t think this is enough; as Putnam argues, causation is “just more theory”.

2.      Now, for the most important comment.  It is almost certain that CSP’s
notion of abduction as a method to generate a possibility space came directly
from the concept of proof of structure.  It follows from his notions of medads
and graphic relations and relatives and the concept of variable valences of
elements.  The notion of abduction was a critical part of hybrid logic
necessary to develop the simple algebra of labelled bipartite graph theory of
the perplex number system.

I would have to put this terminology into terms of contemporary logic to see if
I agree with this. I suspect I do, but right now I reserve judgement.

3.      Secondly, realists MUST add something to signs to make their claims.
What must be added is the physical evidence that relates the parts (indices) to
the whole (sinsigns) such that the abductive hypotheses can be distinguished
from one another.

Agreed.

5. The assertion "Empiricists typically claim that we don't need anything more
to do science.” appears rather problematic to me.

I don’t see this, Jerry. A typical example of a contemporary empiricist who
argues specifically this is Bas van Fraassen, who specifically takes this view
in his work, such as The Scientific Image. Classic empiricists like Locke,
Berkeley and Hume also take this view. I would hasten to add that I distinguish
between empiricism as a reductive sceptical constructivist movement and
empiricism as the view that our interactions with the world are our only
reliable touchstone for clarifying meaning and discovering the truth. I agree
with the latter, and I don’t think it implies nominalism. But it also goes
beyond classic empiricism, being more open to methods than reliance on
observation and combining and projecting observations inductively. I would
agree with Edwina and John Sowa that classic empiricism has been tied together
with certain sociological views, but I don’t think that these are implied by
the logic of empiricism. Stan Salthe is one who, it seems to me, ties the
sociological aspects into a common “discourse” that he takes to define
empiricism (but I think his alternative discourse makes the same errors). I am
not keen on discourses as unanalysable wholes. I think they can be examined
both internally and externally in a critical way. I think the external
criticism is often opened up by internal criticism (e.g., Feyerabend’ s
“Problems with empiricism” and Hanson’s work, as well as Kuhn’s, of course, and
Quine’s “Two dogmas of empiricism”).

John

Cheers

Jerry

On Jan 30, 2017, at 4:36 AM, John Collier