A few points. Thermodynamics is a specialty of mine since I was an
undergraduate, especially the statistical version. I don’t think I agree with
Edwina that firstness is entropic, though in some cases it can be. In other
cases it is just something like form considered in isolation. I take it that
the senses (qualia on some  accounts) start with this, but there is typically a
good deal more going on outside of this firstness that would lead me not to
call it entropic. However I would also say that there are events that we
perceive that are not coordinated with previous experience, and that these can
lead to habits to accommodate future similar events. See my Dealing with the
Unexpected<http://web.ncf.ca/collier/papers/CASYS2000final.pdf> (CASYS 2000)
for an account of how this can happen in a complex system like the mind, though
I see no reason why this need be a mental process, and could apply to
interacting complex processes in general, leading to habits in the broad sense.
In my paper I use the idea to explain Piaget’s asdsimi9lation and
accommodation, which is, of course, a generalization process, but a novel one,
not preprogramed.

There is still an understanding gap between QM and SM, largely due to the fact
that the theory of QM is deterministic. I have heard good scientists say that
QM is the basis of entropy, but I don’t find their arguments sound. I think it
is important to distinguish between chance and randomness. Peirce focuses on
chance. Chance events can be deterministic on the larger scale, such as when we
have a chance meeting with a friend in the store. Nothing in either of our
determining that we will be in the store at that time is coordinated with our
friend’s determinants except that these determinants become coordinated when we
meet. Without both stories together, the meeting is chance, but not random in
the technical sense, since the stories together can be compressed to mark our
meeting. I call situations like this relative randomness: two histories are not
sufficient individually to predict a common event – they don’t contain enough
information to compute this event, but the stories together do, assuming
determinism.

In any case, I don’t see the divergence Clark apparently sees in the use of the
concept of entropy.

John Collier
Emeritus Professor and Senior Research Associate
Philosophy, University of KwaZulu-Natal
http://web.ncf.ca/collier