Jon, briefly, I don’t see that “the Sign determines the Sign-Object relation,”
and I don’t see where Peirce says that it does. What Peirce usually says in his
definitions is that the Object determines the Sign to determine the
Interpretant. (This does get more complicated when he introduces the dichotomy
between Immediate and Dynamic Objects, but this is not mentioned in NDTR.)

There are many variations, such as the beginning of “Speculative Grammar”
(EP2:272), where he says that “A Sign, or Representamen, is a First which
stands in such a genuine triadic relation to a Second, called its Object, as to
be capable of determining a Third, called its Interpretant, to assume the same
triadic relation to its Object in which it stands itself to the same Object.”
But I have yet to see anyplace where Peirce says or implies that the Sign
determines the Sign-Object relation. If you can cite such a place, please do
so. And that goes double for your claim that “the Sign-Object relation
determines how the Interpretant represents the Sign.” In my view, that is
determined by whether the Sign is an Argument, a Dicisign or a Rheme. But
again, I’m happy to be corrected if you can show that I’m wrong by citing a
Peirce text.

Gary f.