From: Gary Richmond [mailto:gary.richm...@gmail.com]
Sent: 18-Apr-17 12:42
To: Peirce-L <peirce-l@list.iupui.edu>
Subject: Re: Fw: [PEIRCE-L] Dyadic relations within the triadic

Gary F, List,

At first i consideried writing you off-list since apparently my brain isn't
functioning sufficiently well enough yet so as to avoid making silly errors and
then compounding them on the list! But I wanted to say something more publicly
regarding your last post, so I've modified my draft message for this on-list
posting.

Yours is an excellent, as I see it and for my purposes, summary post; so for my
own part, unless persuaded otherwise, I'm going to leave these matters--at
least for now--as you have just analyzed them. I must admit that I haven't
studied all the relevant texts recently, while in reviewing some of them I find
that, for example, my marginal notes for the revision that the CP editors give
in a footnote at 2.235 show that I disagreed with that editorial suggestion
then and do so still (I found Peirce to be correct on categorial grounds). But
how Peirce's ordering here can be--if it can be--reconciled with his later
analyses I'll leave to others to research and theorize about.

In some ways, and certainly aided by this threaded discussion and, especially,
your most recent post, I am coming to think that this concern with correlates,
sign parameters, categories, and the like not only will never be fully resolved
a priori nor a posteriori--essentially for the principal reason you gave,
namely, differences in "reflectional experience," but that the matter ever can
be fully resolved for any community of inquiry, nor, perhaps, even for any
individual inquirer; and from the discussion it has become clear that Peirce
himself wasn't able to reach a satisfactory conclusion in these matters
(although in time he might have). But I also think he contradicted himself much
less than some here seem to imagine that he did; and, as I think you noted, he
made a point of correcting such errors as he saw he'd made as a part of his own
personal ethics of inquiry. This represents a kind of intellectual modesty that
I've always admired in Peirce, something which seems rather rare in our era.

But, of course, none of what I've just written is meant to suggest for a moment
that work shouldn't continue in this area and, of course, it undoubtedly will!
Indeed, despite my recent intellectual queasiness, I have found the current
list discussion quite extraordinarily interesting and valuable, such that even
if what I ultimately take away from it is that it is, a least for me,
essentially an exercise in futulity, that  itself represents a kind of fruit of
the inquiry for me.

Or, perhaps more to the point, my interests just don't seem to lie very deeply
in this kind of inquiry (although perhaps once they did), and I now am feeling
more and more compelled to turn to a consideration of how Peirce's
phenomenology, semeiotics, pragmatism, etc. might be put to more, shall we say,
practical use. By this I mean that sort of work which Arnold Shepperson
attempted before his untimely death: applying certain principles--for example,
the mathematical notion of abnumeral, or potential, collections-- to such
fields as cultural and communication studies (for a brief discussion of his
work in these areas see my article "Cultural Pragmatism and the Life of the
Sign."
http://www.iupui.edu/~arisbe/menu/library/aboutcsp/richmond/shepperson.pdf

So, to conclude, while I'll continue to follow closely list discussions of
correlates and such in consideration of divisions of sign classes and types,
etc., I see that I haven't the heart--nor, apparently, the head!--for this kind
of inquiry.at <http://inquiry.at>  present. Again, thanks for this post which
allowed me to better see just that. And thanks also to all the participants in
this discussion whose cogent analyses allowed me to see that what I once
thought to be so simple and obvious (the bases for the classification of signs)
is hardly so.

Best,

Gary R