I suspect you are right, Jon. I think this means that you would disagree with
Terry Deacon’s approach, which starts with icons and has the rest evolve.
Perhaps the origin of the first third is the beginning. Nothing is outside of
that. That would be a bit like some gnostic views.

From: Jon Awbrey [mailto:jawb...@att.net]
Sent: Wednesday, 19 April 2017 7:00 PM
To: Gary Richmond <gary.richm...@gmail.com>
Cc: Peirce-L <peirce-l@list.iupui.edu>
Subject: [PEIRCE-L] Re: Triadic forms of constraint, determination, and
interaction

Gary, all ...

I have every reason to suppose triadic relations are the very fabric of the
universe, and for all I know every triadic relation has the potential to serve
as a sign relation in one measure or another.

In this view triadic relations do not evolve from lower species but are present
from the beginning.  So I do not believe symbols emerge from icons and indices
so much as icons and indices devolve from their generic precursors in the
triadic matrix.

Regards,

Jon

http://inquiryintoinquiry.com

On Apr 19, 2017, at 6:22 PM, Gary Richmond