Addendum:

2.111.. . . now we have to examine whether there be a doctrine of signs
corresponding to Hegel's objective logic; that is to say, whether there be
a life in Signs, so that--*the requisite vehicle being present*--they will
go through a certain order of development, and if so, whether this
development be merely of such a nature that the same round of changes of
form is described over and over again whatever be the matter of the thought
or whether, in addition to such a repetitive order, there be also *a
greater life-history that every symbol furnished with a vehicle of life*
goes through, and what is the nature of it (emphasis added to show that
this "greater life-history" of a symbol *requires* "a vehicle of life."

I would most certainly *not* pooh-pooh Peirce's comment above. GR

[image: Gary Richmond]

*Gary Richmond*
*Philosophy and Critical Thinking*
*Communication Studies*