Helmut,

It’s not that complicated.

A triad is a set of three — three of anything.

A trichotomy is a division of something into three — usually a division of a
type into three classes, or subtypes. For example, signs can be subdivided into
three classes, in various ways: icon/index/symbol, rheme/dicisign/argument, and
so on. Peirce’s classification of signs includes ten trichotomies.

In Peirce’s analysis of semiosis, every sign is correlated with an object and
an interpretant, and the interrelation of the three is called a triadic
relation because it relates a triad of correlates.

Peirce’s “categories” could be called a “triad” because there are three of
them, but Peirce rarely if ever calls them a “triad.” He doesn’t call them a
“trichotomy” either: they are “irreducible elements” of any and all phenomena,
according to Peirce’s phaneroscopic analysis, so they are not arrived at by
dividing phenomena into classes. They are arrived at by prescinding from
phenomena, by “prescissive abstraction.”

Gary f.

 <http://gnusystems.ca/wp/> http://gnusystems.ca/wp/ }{ Turning Signs gateway