Dear list,

"In an illuminating image, Aristotle compares the use made by the noetic
soul of phantasia to the role of diagrams in geometry:

*It is impossible even to think (noein) without a mental picture
(phantasmatos).  The same affection (pathos) is involved in thinking
(noein) as in drawing a diagram; for in this case although we make no use
of the fact that the magnitude of a triangle is a finite quality…In the
same way the man who is thinking (ho noon), though he may not be thinking
of a finite magnitude, still puts a finite magnitude before his eyes,
though he does not think of it as such.  And even if the nature of the
object is quantitative, but indeterminate, he still puts before him a
finite magnitude, although he thinks of it as merely quantitative.  Why it
is impossible to think of anything without continuity (tou synechous) or to
think of things which are timeless except in terms of time, is another
question. *

~ White, The Meaning of *Phantasia* in Aristotle's *De Anima*, III, 3–8
one two three.. synechism

Best,

Jerry R