Helmut Raulien kirjoitti 4.8.2017 21:06:
Kirsti,
you wrote: "Also, with triads, thinking in "parts" does not do.
According to my
 view, that is. Nor do the idea of "containing"."

Instead you wrote about: " Categorical aspects (or perspectives). "

But, isnĀ“t this a kind of containing or composition? Like if you add
all aspects or perspectives, you have the whole picture?

Helmut,

It depends on what is meant by containing or composition. And with "a whole picture".

A whole picture of what? The final truth??? - Something like "better, or "good enough" would be a better way of putting the issue.

What did CSP aim at? That is something to be interpreted on the ground of all his Nachlass. - To my mind he was aiming at a philosophy of science which truly works. In real life, that is. He was offering methods and tools for research.

There already are billions of pictures of wheels, hammers etc. Making a composite picture of those does not help in skills of using them or making them.

I find it difficult to answer your questions, Helmut, because I do not have a clear enough idea of what you are aiming at. What is the ground for you interest in CSP? What do you aim to do with the knowledge and understanding you are after?

Best,

Kirsti

 04. August 2017 um 08:34 Uhr
 kirst...@saunalahti.fi

Helmut,

 You wrote: "...eg. what would be the difference between "qualisign"
and
 "icon". First, they are ripped off from different trichotomies (of
which
 one is left out, by the way). Second, these present something arrived
at
 from differing Categorical aspetcs (or perspectives). Without working
 out oneself what is involved in all this, it is bound to hard or even
 impossible to grasp what you seem to be after.

 Also, with triads, thinking in "parts" does not do. According to my
 view, that is. Nor do the idea of "containing".

 I have never found sign classifications of much use, even though I
spent
 a lot of time once, long ago, with reading CSP's own writings on
those
 issues.

 Existential graphs is the only part of his logic, that I have found
CSP
 to write down that he had succeeded in developing. But still holding
the
 firm view, that it presented only a part of Logic. Only one of the
three
 logically necessary approaches.

 I have only worked out the introductory sections CSP has written on
 this. This work has been immensely useful. In 1980' and early 1990's
 tried to find companions to form a study circe, with no success.

 Best, Kirsti

 Helmut Raulien kirjoitti 3.8.2017 22:54:
 > Kirsti, List,
 > For me both (classification and triads) was and still is complex
and
 > hard to understand. Before I have had a more or less proper
 > understanding of the sign triad, I did not understand sign classes,
 > eg. what would be the difference between "qualisign" and "icon".
 > Another puzzling thing is, that a triad is a composition of
categorial
 > parts, so an "AND"-matter. Classification means "either or" or
"NAND",
 > but a legisign contains sinisigns and qualisigns. This is "AND", so
 > where is the "NAND"? The answer is, I think, that a legisign is
 > composed of sinisigns, which are composed of qualisigns. But
 > composition is just a matter different from classification.
Therefore
 > a sign relation is either a quali- or a sini-, or a legisign, no
 > matter what a sini- or a legisign is composed of.
 > So it was incorrect of me to have written, that classification and
 > triads are two different topics. Instead it would be more correct
 > say, that they are two different things, but to understand one of
 > them, you must have had understood the other. Which, of course, is
not
 > possible (a paradoxon), so it is necessary to read about both
topics
 > (make them one topic) to understand both.
 > So I agree with you having written: "Taking bits and pieces from
CSP
 > just does not work. The "pieces" only
 > work in the context of his work as a whole."
 > Best,
 > Helmut
 >
 > 03. August 2017 um 10:08 Uhr
 > kirst...@saunalahti.fi
 > wrote:
 > Triads belog to the system of Categories, the hardest part in
Peircean
 > philosphy to fully grasp. It is much easier to use only
 > classifications.
 > This appoach involves confining to Secondness, as if it were the
 > only,
 > or even the most important part in his philosphy. - Peirce
definitely
 > left this road.
 >
 > By this I do not mean that classifications are useless. Quite often
 > they
 > are useful as a stepping stone in the beginning of any serious
 > research
 > relying on Peircean Categories.
 >
 > It is true that in his later life CSP started call his work
 > Pragmaticism, in opposition Pragmatism. But I do not agree in that
 > the
 > reason was anything like the latter being "too relativistic". The
 > issue
 > was much more complicated. Best to study CSP's later writings on
the
 > issues involved.
 >
 > To my mind Apel ended up with many misunderstandings and
 > misinterpretations in his work on CSP. E.g. he relied too much on
 > traditional Continental views of the hermeutic circle.
 >
 > Taking bits and pieces from CSP just does not work. The "pieces"
only
 > work in the context of his work as a whole.
 >
 > Best, Kirsti
 >
 > Helmut Raulien kirjoitti 3.8.2017 01:12:
 > > List,
 > > Are trichotomies and triads two different topics? I think so: One
 > is
 > > classification, the other composition. "Signs" as a term, I
think,
 > is
 > > more connected with classification, and "meaning" with
composition.
 > Is
 > > that so? It is my impression.
 > > And: Is it so, that Peirce called himself a "Pragmaticist", in
 > > opposition to "Pragmatism", which was too relativistic for him?
So
 > > Peirce has a connection ability towards metahysics and
 > transcendental
 > > philosophy, and maybe that is what Apel liked him for? Only my
 > > impression too, maybe wrong, I have not read so much.
 > > Best,
 > > Helmut
 > >
 > > 01. August 2017 um 15:45 Uhr
 > > kirst...@saunalahti.fi
 > > wrote:
 > > Clark understood pretty correctly what I meant with my post: A
 > > question
 > > of shifting emphasis by CSP. Which to my mind is shown in a shift
 > of
 > > interest from trichotomies (and systems of sign classification)
 > into
 > > triads and triadic thinking (as a method).
 > >
 > > On these issues I have written extensively to the list in early
 > > 2000's.
 > > As Gary R. well knows as a participant in those discussions. So I
 > > refer
 > > to the list archives.
 > >
 > > It was after I had reached this view of mine, that I read
Karl-Otto
> [...]
 > Kirsti
 > > > to be claiming: mainly that it was meaning that was the prime
 > > driver.
 > > > But I think we all agree with what the outcome of that inquiry
 > was.
 > > >
 > > > I'd love to hear Kirsti defend her claim about meaning being
the
 > > > driver.
 > > >
 > > > My own beliefs here (which I'm more than happy to change with
 > > > further information) come largely from the same paper you
quoted
 > > > earlier "Pragmatism" from 1907 (MS318) In particular the
 > different
 > > > variants of the paper he worked with seem to me to show a
strong
 > > focus
 > > > on meaning.

 > hard
 > stripe
 > > quite
 > > > (Sorry just have my Kindle handy so no accurate page numbers)
 > > >
 > > > He then continues going into nuance on meaning to shift to a
 > > > discussion to signs. He bridges the discussion after talking
 > about
 > > > _total meaning _in terms of counterfactual (would-be) acts by
 > > asking
 > > > how his principles of predication are to be proved. He turns
for
 > > that
 > > > to a discussion of signs, but the discussion of signs is
 > ultimately
 > > > conducted in service to his larger discussion of meaning and
 > > > pragmatism. As he continues to discuss signs though, he always
 > > keeps
 > > > that topic of meaning in sight. It's true that by the middle of
 > the
 > > > paper he's shifted from talking about meaning to talking about
 > > > signification. But that's merely because it's a more precise
way
 > > > of continuing the same discussion. (IMO) I think he continues
 > > > discussing meaning, noting such things that object of the sign
 > > can't
 > > > be the proper object. He then relates feelings as tied to the
 > > meaning
 > > > of the sing. He finally discusses meaning once again in terms
of
 > > > "would be" as a way of ultimately grounding meaning.
 > > >
 > > > He finally closes by going through the various types of
 > pragmatism
 > > > contrasting them with his own over where they vary in terms of
 > > meaning
 > > > using his discussion of the sign. To me that implies that the
 > whole
 > > > point of signs in that discussion was to elucidate the
 > differences
 > > > between his own meaning of pragmatism with James, Schiller and
 > > others.
 > > >
 > > > Again, I'm fully willing to be wrong here. Most of you are far
 > > > better versed in the nuances of Peirce's development than I.
But