Letters to lady Welby need to be interpreted and evaluated on the basis to whom they were addressed to. Lady Welby was highly interested in sign classifications. Classifications were a dominant topic at the times, in vogue. (Remnants of this vogue are still effective.) - Peirce was explaining her about his earlier work and results on the topic, as best he could. Also following the rules of polite correspondence (by then) and taking her interests (Welby's Significs) to the foreground.

As evidence backing up interpretations on CSP's then current main interests, works at hand, I find Welby correspondence necessarily weak. Not strong, that is.

Best

Kirsti