On 8/7/2017 12:07 PM, Jerry LR Chandler wrote:
How does the modern notion of a system compare with CSP’s late 19th / early 20 th Century rhetoric?

Very directly.  Peirce had provided the logical foundation for
describing all of them.  He didn't have the modern experience with the
latest computer systems, but his 1887 article on "Logical Machines"
was 63 years ahead of Turing in speculating about mechanisms for
automating some aspects of human reasoning.  In 1963, Marvin Minsky
included that article in his bibliography of artificial intelligence.

Peirce's work at the USC&GS gave him the latest updates on the most
advanced engineering *systems* of the day.  He was also a pioneer
in designing some of them.  He was not only the first scientist or
engineer to propose a wavelength of light as an international standard
for length -- he also built the instruments to use a wavelength of
light to measure the pendulums he used for measuring gravity.

For evidence, I recommend the articles in the four volume NEM that
demonstrate his wide range of mathematical methods and applications.
In particular, browse through Vol. 2, which includes letters by CSP
to and about some of the most famous mathematicians of his day.  It
also includes some of his letter to William James, in which he tries
to explain some mathematical concepts to a notorious nonmathematician.

For evidence of his broad range of thought, I recommend the thousands
of words he defined for the _Century Dictionary_.  For some of them
and for pointers to others, see the ones I excerpted in
http://jfsowa.com/peirce/defs

He also contributed many definitions to Baldwin's dictionary after 1900.
Some of then are rather detailed essays.  For all of them up to the
letter O, see http://jfsowa.com/peirce/baldwin.htm

Note his essays on "Laws of Thought", "Logic", "Logic, exact",
"Logical", "Logical Diagram (or Graph)", "Matter and Form", and
"Modality".