Jerry LRC, Tommi, Gary F, and Kirsti,

Jerry
Thanks for collecting and posting the references to Simons works.
His views have changed hues since his book!

Yes.  I'd say that the theoretical analysis in his 1987 book is
still valid, but Simons got hit with a large dose of reality in
his dozen years of consulting on engineering projects.

I know some of the people who worked at Ontek, and they were always
very supportive of both theory and practice -- and so was Peirce.
Since applied ontology is the primary interest of Ontolog Forum,
I wanted to emphasize those issues in my note.

Tommi
My own current thought is that the main reason for Peirce's
classification was to argue for those dotted lines in John's
diagram, i.e. for dependencies between different studies, also
that these dependencies form a partially hierarchical structure

Yes.  There are two partial orders.  The solid lines show how
one science is more general (covers a broader range) than another.
The dotted lines show dependencies (one science borrows or adopts
principles from another).  It's possible to emphasize either one.

But there is a question whether phenomenology depends on mathematics.
In CP 1.186, Peirce did not say that it does.  In 1.417-421, he
indicates that the perception of the phenomena does not depend
on anything else, but he also suggests that mathematics is used in
analyzing the phenomena.  Therefore, I revised CSPsciences.jpg to
draw the dotted line from mathematics to phenomenology to normative
science.  For CP 1.417-421, see http://www.textlog.de/4283.html .

Gary
I think the issues raised by Tommi are of a similar sort, being based
on dynamic tensions that resist any final resolution. But I think we
agree that John’s diagram, by showing the dependencies within the
broader divisions of the sciences, does contribute to the kind of
dialogue we need for any “synthetic philosophy.”

Thanks for the note of support.

Kirsti
Changing 'science' into 'knowledge' in CSPsciences jpg cannot be
justified by current English dictionaries or other records of
current use of the word 'science' in US or UK.  In Finnish usage,
for example, the word for 'sciences' includes human sciences,
and philosophy.

That's also true of the German 'Wissenschaft'.  Since Peirce knew
German very well, he was probably thinking of the German sense.
But the current English usage has changed.  One reason why I chose
the word 'knowledge' is that it's a direct translation of the Latin
'scientia'.