Continuing Peirce’s Lowell Lecture 1 (from EP2:243):

… I had better mention that the argument I shall criticize is open to quite
another objection than that which I notice,— and a more obvious one. You may
wonder why I pass over it. It is simply because some forms in which the same
confusion of thought occurs are not open to this same objection. I only
notice the radical objection that is common to all forms.

But you will think it high time I told you what this tangle of ideas of
which I have said so much consists in. First let me state the fallacious
argument which embodies it. The particular argument which I have chosen to
exemplify it leads to a more extreme conclusion than some of the others. It
does so because it is less illogical than those others. Its conclusion is
that there is no distinction of good and bad reasoning. Although, thus
nakedly exhibited, this conclusion might find few to embrace it, yet it is
substantially what I might almost say that all Germany believes in today.
For example, few nineteenth-century treatises on logic in the German
language have a word to say about fallacies. Why not? Because they hold the
law of logic to be, like a law of nature, inviolable. Or to state the matter
more exactly, enough of them hold to this opinion to set the fashion for the
others. Fashion is everything among German philosophers, for the simple
reason that the professor’s livelihood depends on his lectures being in the
favored vogue.

The fallacious argument itself runs thus: Every reasoning takes place in
some mind. It would not be that mind’s reasoning unless it satisfied that
mind’s feeling of logicality (logisches Gefühl). But as long as it does
that, nothing can be gained by criticizing the reasoning any further, since
there is no other possible sign by which we could know that it was good than
that feeling of logicality in the reasoner’s mind. For if the reasoning be
criticized, that criticism must be conducted by reasoning; and that
reasoning, in its turn, must either be accepted because it satisfies the
reasoner’s feeling of logicality, or else be criticized by further
reasoning. He cannot carry through an endless series of reasonings.
Therefore, some final reasoning there must be that is adopted on the
assumption that a reasoning which satisfies the feeling of logicality is as
good as any reasoning can be; and if this be not true, all reasoning is
worthless. Consequently, since every reasoning satisfies the reasoner’s
feeling of logicality, every reasoning is as good as any reasoning can be.
That is, there is no distinction of good and bad reasoning.

That is the argument which I pronounce a miserable fallacy. If we extend to
arguments a just maxim of our law, every argument must be presumed to be
sound until it is proved fallacious. Accordingly, I will refer to this
argument as the “defendant argument,” and to the writers who adhere to it as
the “defendants.”

In order to emphasize that confusion which I think so pestilent, and to
prevent your minds from being distracted from it to another fault in the
defendant argument, I put it into parallel with another argument that
involves a quite analogous confusion.

Namely, we find in some of the old writers a fallacious argument to prove
that there is no distinction of moral right and wrong. The argument runs as
follows:

The distinction between a good act and a bad one, if there be any such
distinction, lies in the motive. But the only motive a man can have is his
own pleasure. No other is thinkable. For if a man desires to act in any way,
it is because he takes pleasure in so acting. Otherwise, his action would
not be voluntary and deliberate. Thus, there is but one possible motive for
action that has any motive; and consequently, the distinction of right and
wrong, which would be a distinction between motives, does not exist.

You see the parallelism between the two arguments. Each undertakes to refute
a distinction between good and bad; the one in reasoning, the other in
endeavor. Each does this by pronouncing something unthinkable; the one, that
a man should adopt a conclusion for any other reason than a feeling of
logicality, the other that a man should adopt any line of conduct from any
other motive than a feeling of pleasure.

My position, in opposition to these arguments, is that it is so far from
being true that every desire necessarily desires its own gratification,
that, on the contrary, it is impossible that a desire should desire its own
gratification; and it is so far from being true that every inference must
necessarily be based upon its seeming satisfactory, that it is, on the
contrary, impossible that any inference should be based in any degree upon
its seeming satisfactory.

I want to lead you to see clearly that the defendants confound two disparate
categories, and, having identified objects belonging to these categories,
attribute to them a nature belonging to a third category. They confound an
efficient agency, whose very existence consists in its acting when and where
it is, with a general mental formulation; and as if this were not blunder
enough, they call the identified two a feeling. The first blunder is as if a
man, being asked what made the Campanile fall in Venice, were to reply that
it was the regularity of nature. That is a confusion tolerably common,— the
confusion of a decree of a court with the sheriff’s strong right arm. But,
after having identified these, to call them a feeling is, I believe, a
mistake peculiar to philosophers. It is something like confusing a living
man with the general idea of a man and, having done so, saying that he was
constructed of two nasal consonants and a vowel.

To be continued