Continuing from 1.4 (EP2:248, CP 1.602):

603. Now let us compare the facts I have stated with the argument I am
opposing. That argument rests on two main premisses; first, that it is
unthinkable that a man should act from any other motive than pleasure, if
his act be deliberate; and second, that action with reference to pleasure
leaves no room for any distinction of right and wrong.

604. Let us consider whether this second premiss is really true. What would
be requisite in order to destroy the difference between innocent and guilty
conduct? The one thing that would do it would be to destroy the faculty of
effective self-criticism. As long as that remained, as long as a man
compared his conduct with a preconceived standard and that effectively, it
need not make much difference if his only real motive were pleasure; for it
would become disagreeable to him to incur the sting of conscience. But those
who deluded themselves with that fallacy were so inattentive to the
phenomena that they confused the judgment, after the act, that that act
satisfied or did not satisfy the requirements of a standard, with a pleasure
or pain accompanying the act itself.

605. Let us now consider whether the other premiss is true, that it is
unthinkable that a man should act deliberately except for the sake of
pleasure. What is the element which it is in truth unthinkable that
deliberate action should lack? It is simply and solely the determination.
Let his determination remain, as it is certainly conceivable that it should
remain, although the very nerve of pleasure were cut so that the man were
perfectly insensible to pleasure and pain, and he will certainly pursue the
line of conduct upon which he is intent. The only effect would be to render
the man's intentions more inflexible,- an effect, by the way, which we often
have occasion to observe in men whose feelings are almost deadened by age or
by some derangement of the brain. But those who have reasoned in this
fallacious way have confounded together the determination of the man's
nature, which is an efficient agency prepared previously to the act, with
the comparison of conduct with a standard, which comparison is a general
mental formula subsequent to the act, and, having identified these two
utterly different things, placed them in the act itself as a mere quality of
feeling.

606. Now if we recur to the defendant argument about reasoning, we shall
find that it involves the same sort of tangle of ideas. The phenomena of
reasoning are, in their general features, parallel to those of moral
conduct. For reasoning is essentially thought that is under self-control,
just as moral conduct is conduct under self-control. Indeed reasoning is a
species of controlled conduct and as such necessarily partakes of the
essential features of controlled conduct. If you attend to the phenomena of
reasoning, although they are not quite so familiar to you as those of morals
because there are no clergymen whose business it is to keep them before your
minds, you will nevertheless remark, without difficulty, that a person who
draws a rational conclusion, not only thinks it to be true, but thinks that
similar reasoning would be just in every analogous case. If he fails to
think this, the inference is not to be called reasoning. It is merely an
idea suggested to his mind and which he cannot resist thinking is true. But
not having been subjected to any check or control, it is not deliberately
approved and is not to be called reasoning. To call it so would be to ignore
a distinction which it ill becomes a rational being to overlook. To be sure,
every inference forces itself upon us irresistibly. That is to say, it is
irresistible at the instant it first suggests itself. Nevertheless, we all
have in our minds certain norms, or general patterns of right reasoning, and
we can compare the inference with one of those and ask ourselves whether it
satisfies that rule. I call it a rule, although the formulation may be
somewhat vague; because it has the essential character of a rule of being a
general formula applicable to particular cases. If we judge our norm of
right reason to be satisfied, we get a feeling of approval, and the
inference now not only appears as irresistible as it did before, but it will
prove far more unshakable by any doubt.

607. You see at once that we have here all the main elements of moral
conduct; the general standard mentally conceived beforehand, the efficient
agency in the inward nature, the act, the subsequent comparison of the act
with the standard. Examining the phenomena more closely we shall find that
not a single element of moral conduct is unrepresented in reasoning. At the
same time, the special case naturally has its peculiarities.

608. Thus, we have a general ideal of sound logic. But we should not
naturally describe it as our idea of the kind of reasoning that befits men
in our situation. How should we describe it? How,- if we were to say that
sound reasoning is such reasoning that in every conceivable state of the
universe in which the facts stated in the premisses are true, the fact
stated in the conclusion will thereby and therein be true? The objection to
this statement is that it only covers necessary reasoning, including
reasoning about chances. There is other reasoning which is defensible as
probable, in the sense that while the conclusion may be more or less
erroneous, yet the same procedure diligently persisted in must, in every
conceivable universe in which it leads to any result at all, lead to a
result indefinitely approximating to the truth. When that is the case, we
shall do right to pursue that method, provided we recognize its true
character, since our relation to the universe does not permit us to have any
necessary knowledge of positive facts. You will observe that in such a case
our ideal is shaped by the consideration of our situation relatively to the
universe of existences. There are still other operations of the mind to
which the name "reasoning" is especially appropriate, although it is not the
prevailing habit of speech to call them so. They are conjectures, but
rational conjectures; and the justification of them is that unless a man had
a tendency to guess right, unless his guesses are better than tossing up a
copper, no truth that he does not already virtually possess could ever be
disclosed to him, so that he might as well give up all attempt to reason;
while if he has any decided tendency to guess right, as he may have, then no
matter how often he guesses wrong, he will get at the truth at last. These
considerations certainly do take into account the man's inward nature as
well as his outward relations; so that the ideals of good logic are truly of
the same general nature as ideals of fine conduct. We saw that three kinds
of considerations go to support ideals of conduct. They were, first, that
certain conduct seems fine in itself. Just so, certain conjectures seem
likely and easy in themselves. Secondly, we wish our conduct to be
consistent. Just so the ideal [of] necessary reasoning is consistency
simply. Third, we consider what the general effect would be of thoroughly
carrying out our ideals. Just so certain ways of reasoning recommend
themselves because if persistently carried out they must lead to the truth.
The parallelism, you perceive, is almost exact.

http://gnusystems.ca/Lowells.htm }{ Peirce's Lowell Lectures of 1903