Gary, list:

        Peirce wrote: "I have no objection to saying that in my opinion what
makes a reasoning sound is the real law that the general method which
that reasoning more or less consciously pursues does tend toward the
truth." And,

        "The very essence of an argument,— that which distinguishes it
from all other kinds of signs,— is that it professes to be the
representative of a general method of procedure tending toward the
truth. To say that this method tends toward the true is to say that
it is a real law that existences will follow."

        An Argument is a semiosic process, and is as valid in the biological
realm as it is in the Seminar Room. The semiosic Argument functions as
a 'real law that existences will follow'. Therefore, the existence
that emerges/exists within this real law is 'the truth of that law'.

        That's how I see it. I don't confine 'Truth' to the Seminar Room of
rhetoric and human mental analysis; I think it operates in the real
material world.

        Edwina
 On Sun 15/10/17  1:27 PM , g...@gnusystems.ca sent:
        Edwina,
         Your first sentence introduces a bit of confusion. Peirce does not
say that truth is a is a real law that existences will follow; he
says that the “general method of procedure tending toward the
truth” is a real law that existences will follow. This method, or
law, is what makes a consequent follow from an antecedent. Every
argument implicitly claims to follow that general method, and if it
really does, then the argument is sound. But the “following” is
independent of the factual truth of the premisses. Peirce is
essentially asking us what it  means to say that one fact or idea
really follows from another, and in Lecture 2 he will give an answer
that analyzes the “following” (the inference process) into as
many small steps as possible. And he will do this for deductive,
mathematical, “necessary” reasoning, where the “facts” are
about mathematical objects which have no empirical existence in the
usual sense of “empirical.”
        In short, this law or method is not itself a fact, nor is it
“truth.” It is general, and its whole mode of being consists in
really governing a reasoning process so that “the conclusions of
that method really will be true, to the extent and in the manner in
which the argument pretends that they will.”
        Gary f.