Continuing from Lowell 2.2:

 

.The board itself is a graph, since it represents the universe as consisting
of single imaginary things. The board and what is written on it together
make up another graph. 

It is quite important, however, to distinguish between a graph and a graph
replica. Suppose an editor writes to me and asks for an article of 4000
words. You know what he means by words in that case. In what I write the
single word "the" may occur twenty times on every page. Every time it will
count as a separate word. Yet in another sense, it is the same word. In this
latter sense, the word the consists in the sum total of general conditions
to which ink-marks or voice-sounds must conform in order to be understood in
a certain way. 

In this sense the word the is, strictly speaking, never written; but what is
written conforms to it, or, as we say, embodies it. In the other sense a
written word is written once and only once, since every act of writing makes
a new word. Now when I speak of a graph, I mean the general type of whatever
means the same thing and expresses that meaning in the same way so far as
the conventions of this system take cognizance of the ways; while that which
is scribed once and only once and embodies the graph, I call a
graph-replica. For brevity, however, I speak of "scribing a graph" just as
we speak of writing the word the. The phrase may be defended as employing
the word "scribe" in a special sense. I will now put an additional replica
upon the board, or the sheet of assertion 



Let us agree to understand that each of those replicas has the same meaning
as if it stood alone; and that it shall be the same with any other two
replicas on the sheet, so that I now assert not only that there is a ripe
pear, but also that it rains. 

By calling this system a system of existential graphs, my meaning is that
two graphs at different points of the board, whether far or near, are both
asserted, each just as much as if the other were not there. 

 

Manuscript and transcription:

https://fromthepage.com/jeffdown1/c-s-peirce-manuscripts/ms-455-456-1903-low
ell-lecture-ii/display/13600

 

 <http://gnusystems.ca/Lowells.htm> http://gnusystems.ca/Lowell2.htm }{
Peirce's Lowell Lectures of 1903

https://fromthepage.com/jeffdown1/c-s-peirce-manuscripts/ms-455-456-1903-low
ell-lecture-ii

 

-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to