Edwina, Helmut, List,

If you are interested in Peirce's account of genuine and degenerate relations 
among the elemental categories, then I recommend:


Kruse, Felicia E. "Genuineness and Degeneracy in Peirce's Categories." 
Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society 27, no. 3 (1991): 267-298.


--Jeff


Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy
Northern Arizona University
(o) 928 523-8354
________________________________
From: Edwina Taborsky <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, October 23, 2017 12:21:40 PM
To: [email protected]; Helmut Raulien
Cc: Peirce-L
Subject: Re: Aw: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Categories


Helmut - my understanding of 'degenerate' is simply that the mode includes 
another mode. So, genuine Secondness refers to a mode of organization or 
composition that functions only within Secondness. Degenerate Secondness 
includes Firstness in that composition.

One can 'theoretically, I suppose, refer to 2-1 as a 'submode' of 2-2, but I 
understand it as I've explained above.

Yes, there are indeed 'more than one way' of something being a functioning part 
of something else.

You wrote: 'The dynamical object is functionally a part of the sign (functional 
composition), but spatially not a part of it (external to it, spatial 
composition)." I

I agree. That is in large part why Peirce referred to his theory as 'objective 
idealism'.

Edwiina




On Mon 23/10/17 3:09 PM , "Helmut Raulien" [email protected] sent:

Edwina,
thank you for acknowledging a different view! I have looked at Guess at the 
riddle, not having understood it, so I must look again, taking more time, being 
more focused and concentrated.
Is it so, that "degenerate" mostly applies to classification, e.g. the sign 
classes? While, when it is about composition, it rather is submodes?
About external and internal, regarding the example of the immediate object 
being internal, and the dynamical one being external to the sign, I yesterday 
have written something in my blog www.signs-in-time.de . There (quite at the 
end of it) I have come to the conclusion, that there are more than one ways of 
something being a part of something else: Three ways of composition. The 
dynamical object is functionally a part of the sign (functional composition), 
but spatially not a part of it (external to it, spatial composition).
Best,
Helmut
18. Oktober 2017 um 14:36 Uhr
 "Edwina Taborsky"
wrote.

Helmut - yes, Again, Peirce refers to external and internal frequently  - see 
for example, all through A guess at the riddle.  1. 354-

Yes, I can see the degenerate modes as submodes - except what is interesting 
about them is that they include the other modes, which thus makes them 
degenerate rather than genuine/pure.

I hope I've explained why I describe 3-1 and 3-2 differently from you - though 
I acknowledge the validity of your points.

Edwina



On Tue 17/10/17 9:31 PM , "Helmut Raulien" [email protected] sent:



Supplement: "External, internal" are a bit likely to lead to misunderstandings, 
I guess. I think, or rather guess, that, as secondness is actuality and 
firstness possibility, this also applies to the degenerate modes (I rather 
think of them as submodes). So, that (3.1.) is possibility rather, and (3.2.) 
actuality.

Edwina, list,
my concepts of (2.1.), (2.2.), (3.1.), (3.2.), (3.3.) I mostly have abducted 
from immediate object (2.1.), dynamic object (2.2.), immediate (3.1.), dynamic 
(3.2.), final (3.3.) interpretant, and also the parts of the consciousness: 
Sensation of altersense (2.1.), will of altersense (2.2.), abstraction of 
medisense (3.1.), suggestion of medisense (3.2.), association of medisense 
(3.3.). Looking at these, I think that I agree with your (2.1.) and (2.2.), but 
that I see (3.1.) and (3.2.) the other way around than you do, regarding their 
local ex- and internality. Are there btw. any more examples of degenerate modes 
by Peirce?
Best,
Helmut
 17. Oktober 2017 um 21:59 Uhr
 "Edwina Taborsky" wrote:


Helmut - I can see how you are arriving at this outline of the categories - 
matter-form-interaction - and they DO fit into the three modal categories.  My 
own view of the six modes possible within these three categories analyzes how 
they function within time and space.

1-1 [Pure Firstness]- is a mode of existence in Internal Local Space and 
Present time: As internal, which is to say, in the non-actualized or imaginary 
realm - - it provides a host of 'possible' experiences but its existentiality 
as not-actual is without definition and without form and thus, allows for a 
great deal of interpretation, via its open possibilities. A feeling.

2-2 [Pure Secondness] is a mode in External Local Space and Perfect time: As 
external, it provides a discrete actual instantiation

2-1 [Degenerate Secondness] is a borderline interface, in local space..and on 
the border between the external and the internal. It's an 'attractor'. I think 
it functions as a kind of initial condition [its Firstness] , able to link with 
other relations [its indexical Secondness]; It acts as a catalyst...with its 
properties of both internal feeling and external closure. So, it iconically and 
indexically  'interacts' with other sites and also, binds and links with them.

3-2 [Degenerate Thirdness] is an internal mode, and, as Thirdness, operates in 
progressive or continuous time and non-local space. As non-local, it  provides 
communal continuity, but, as internal, it operates as a 'virtual information 
processor. It functions as an exploratory ongoing flexible connection of 
indexical links to both real and imaginary solutions; it 'browses' the entire 
informational community without making a discrete decision. It's a vital, 
highly important mode - because of its indexicality with its surroundings, and 
the fact that, as internal - its decisions remain possible rather than actual. 
This enables the organism to consider, without actualizing,  multiple 
alternative solutions. It's a  vital informational search engine.

3-1 [Degenerate Thirdness] is an external mode, and, as Thirdness, operates in 
progressive or continuous time and non-local space. It provides communal 
continuity, but, as EXTERNAL, i.e., as actual rather than imaginary or 
possible, it lacks the exploratory capacities of 3-2; it provides a 
symmetry-inducing model, a communal habit-form or abstract model, which guides 
and organizes the development of instantiations. Akin to the genes of a species.

3-3 [Pure Thirdness] is aspatial and atemporal - the universal rationality of 
Pure Mind. It cannot be described for description belongs to particularities.

And now - I can imagine the reactions of shocked horror at my above outline. 
..and the assertions that 'it's not Peirce'. Well- I think it is.

Edwina








On Tue 17/10/17 3:13 PM , "Helmut Raulien" [email protected] sent:

Edwina, list,
I completely agree with your outline of what a thing categorially is. My 
proposal about a thing is: Category 1 is matter/material, cat. 2 is form, and 
cat. 3 is interaction. 2.1. (firstness of secondness) is the form from the 
inside, the thing´s perspective, and 2.2. (secondness of secondness) is the 
form from the outside perspective. 3.1. is the interaction possibility, 3.2. 
the actual interactions, and 3.3. the interactional habits. Where exactly the 
border between existence and reality is, I don´t know. Maybe, depending on the 
depth of analysis, always between secondness and thirdness? so between 2 and 3, 
but also between 3.2. and 3.3., between 3.3.2. and 3.3.3.,...?
Best,
Helmut

17. Oktober 2017 um 01:19 Uhr
 "Edwina Taborsky"


Gary R, list

Thanks for the quote. I've two, hopefully brief, comments.

1] I don't think that a 'thing' is real in itself, It is existential,  but its 
attributes, its modal nature, can be real - if that modal nature includes 
Thirdness, which is to say, includes generals or habits.

2] Thirdness, or generality or habits, has to be understood as distinct  - 
spatially and temporally - from the modal categories of Firstness and 
Secondness.

Firstness operates in the Open Here and Now - ...this undifferentiated  
'instant'..and 'this space'..with no sense of past or future time and no sense 
of 'other space. It is that immediate sensation.

Secondness operates in the Distinct Here and Now - this 'instant' as 
differentiated from the past or next instant and this space as differentiated 
from Other Space. It is that distinct, closed oppositional awareness of 
self-not self.

Thirdness operates in Past/Future or Progressive Time and non-local space. That 
is, its properties, as generals,  have no 'glue' confining them to 'hic et 
nunc' time; they are spread out; they are the same in the past and in the 
future; they are continuity. And - they are common to a lot of 'instances' over 
space. As such, these Generals are of course, real  general possibilities.

3] BUT Thirdness or 'the real' , being composed of generals operating only in 
past/future time and non-local space, can only exist, within the temporal and 
spatial finiteness, the 'nowness' of matter operating in the mode of Firstness 
and/or Secondness. These two modal categories provide the 'hic and nunc' 
existentiality to Thirdness.

Therefore -  a General or an open general possibility, is 'real' but, being 
without current time and space, it remains an abstract open, vague continuous 
force. As a force, does Thirdness depend on being articulated within 
existential Firstness/Secondness? I think it does; its properties are general 
and open to change within the 'being made existential' - but - I don't see that 
Thirdness/ generals can continue-to-be-Real without that semiosic connection. 
That is, I don't see Thirdness/generals as functioning separated from 
Firstness/Secondness.

Edwina






On Mon 16/10/17 5:12 PM , Gary Richmond [email protected] sent:

Edwina, list,

I'm glad the quotation proved helpful to you. There does remain the question of 
the generality and reality of habits and habit formation towards the future, 
evolutionary tendencies, 'would-bes', etc.

Since I've decided to rest my eyes for the rest of the day (I may in fact 
listen to that Mozart concerto), I'll just offer another quote and a brief 
comment to suggest what I have in mind for perhaps future discussion (I'd 
recommend that if we do take the discussion further that we do so in a separate 
thread).

1911 | A Sketch of Logical Critics  | EP 2:457-458 (in Commens Dictionary)

For what is it for a thing to be Real? [—] To say that a thing is Real is 
merely to say that such predicates as are true of it, or some of them, are true 
of it regardless of whatever any actual person or persons might think 
concerning that truth. Unconditionality in that single respect constitutes what 
we call Reality.  Consequently, any habit, or lasting state that consists in 
the fact that the subject of it  would, under certain conditions, behave in a 
certain way, is Real, provided this be true whether actual persons think so or 
not; and it must be admitted to be a Real Habit, even if those conditions never 
actually do get fulfilled.



I would assume that we are in agreement as to Peirce's initial answer to the 
question he poses as to what it is for something to be Real. But the question 
of the reality of habits as "would bes" yet remains to be considered. Note that 
his description here of a habit--a "lasting state that consists in the fact 
that the subject would , under certain conditions, behave in a certain way, is 
Real" concludes with the idea that "it must be admitted to be a Real Habit, 
even if those conditions never actually do get fulfilled."

Now I recall Jon S also suggesting that something like this is the case not 
only for real generals (habits) but for real possibilities as well. It seems to 
me that Peirce's "extreme Scholastic realism" does argue that there are both 
real generals and real possibles, and that their reality is not dependent on 
whether the conditions bringing them into existence "actually do get fulfilled."

Best,

Gary R

[Blocked image]

Gary Richmond
Philosophy and Critical Thinking
Communication Studies
LaGuardia College of the City University of New York
718 482-5690

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 3:17 PM, Edwina Taborsky <[email protected]> wrote:

Gary R - thanks; that's a great quotation. And yes, it  does bring in his 
'objective idealism' which is NOT equivalent to 'idealism'. Agreed - without 
the reality of generals, a theory is nominalistic - it can't be otherwise, for 
it is reduced to only two modal categories: Firstness and Secondness.

That's a vital comment - that

". . . reality means a certain kind of non-dependence upon thought, and so is a 
cognitionary character

Essentially, to me that means that reality doesn't depend upon what you or I 
may think of it but is itself, an operation of a general Mind. And most 
certainly, universals as generals do not, per se, in themselves, 'exist'. 
Instead, these generals  'exist'...within instantiations. "Matter is..mind 
hidebound with habits' 6.158

 BUT - we can certainly have semiosic Signs [that triad] without generals. Just 
think of a rhematic indexical sinsign [a spontaneous cry] operative only in 
Secondness and Firstness.

Edwiina








On Mon 16/10/17 2:38 PM , Gary Richmond [email protected] sent:

Jon S, Edwina, list,

This remains a thorny issue, apparently. I personally have found the quotation 
below useful in thinking about the distinction Peirce makes between 'reality' 
and 'existence' and, by extension, the difference between realism and 
nominalism. In his late work Peirce held any theory which did not accept real 
generals and real possibles to be nominalistic.

In this passage the first sentence, which makes reality "non-dependent on 
thought" and of a "cognitionary character," has led some commentators to 
suggest that the passage also points to Peirce's "objective idealism."

". . . reality means a certain kind of non-dependence upon thought, and so is a 
cognitionary character, while existence means reaction with the environment, 
and so is a dynamic character; and accordingly the two meanings, he [the 
pragmatist] would say, are clearly not the same. Individualists are apt to fall 
into the almost incredible misunderstanding that all other men are 
individualists, too -- even the scholastic realists, who, they suppose, thought 
that "universals exist." [But] can any such person believe that the great 
doctors of that time believed that generals exist? They certainly did not so 
opine. . . Hence, before we treat of the evidences of pragmaticism, it will be 
needful to weigh the pros and cons of scholastic realism. For pragmaticism 
could hardly have entered a head that was not already convinced that there are 
real generals" (CP 5.503).

Well, whether that quotation proves useful or not, I think that it's probably 
unlikely that this issue will be resolved in this thread, and that it may be 
indeed be a good time for Gary F to commence posting material from Lowell 2.

Best,

Gary R

[Blocked image]

Gary Richmond
Philosophy and Critical Thinking
Communication Studies
LaGuardia College of the City University of New York
718 482-5690

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 1:48 PM, Jon Alan Schmidt <[email protected]> 
wrote:
Edwina, List:

Your response seems rather uncharitable; I honestly have neither the time nor 
the inclination to revisit the argument right now.

That said, I offer my sincere thanks for clarifying how you distinguish reality 
and existence, as well as your careful limitation of "things" to the latter.  I 
would simply question the notion that anything can exist while having no 
generality whatsoever.

And we explicitly agreed a few months ago to use the term Sign to designate the 
triad of Immediate Object, Representamen, and Immediate Interpretant.

Regards,

Jon

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 12:21 PM, Edwina Taborsky <[email protected]> wrote:

Jon - that's a specious attempt to revisit this argument - i.e., your saying 
that 'some people might not have heard this debate before'. Well, tough, 
frankly it's not worth hearing about - and - I'm not going to revisit it with 
you.

I disagree that existence is a subset of reality, for that implies that both 
have the same qualities. An existence/ entity can exist within only the mode of 
Secondness and thus, have no generality in it, but reality requires generality. 
 I disagree that 'some THING' can be real yet not exist'. If it's a 'thing' 
then it exists. Reality is Thirdness, or generality and is not a thing.

And we've been over your rejection of the Sign as a triad of 
Object-Representamen-Interpretant and your confining of the term 'Sign' to 
refer only to the mediate Representamen. Again, read 4.551 to its end.

There is no positive point in continuing this discussion since it's been done 
to exhaustion before.

Edwina

On Mon 16/10/17 1:02 PM , Jon Alan Schmidt [email protected] sent:

Edwina, List:

I know that we have been over this ground before, and I am not interested in 
repeating our past discussions, but there may be some following along now who 
were not on the List back then.

Especially late in his life, Peirce carefully distinguished reality from 
existence, treating the latter as a subset of the former.  Everything that 
exists is real, but something can be real yet not exist--and this is precisely 
the case with all generals in themselves (not their instantiations), as well as 
some possibilities that have not been (and may never be) actualized.

Likewise, anything that is general is (by definition) not particular.  If all 
Signs are particulars, then (by definition) no Signs are generals.

Regards,

Jon


On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 11:27 AM, Edwina Taborsky <[email protected]> wrote:

Jon - we've been over these terms before. Read 4.551 and you'll see the triad - 
and it's elsewhere as well.

You know perfectly well that by Sign [capital S] I refer to the triad of 
Object-Representamen-Interpretant. The Representamen is general when in a mode 
of Thirdness.

But you know all of that anyway.

Edwina

On Mon 16/10/17 12:22 PM , Jon Alan Schmidt [email protected] sent:

Edwina, List:

I think that it would be helpful if you could clarify exactly how you 
distinguish reality from existence in your statements below.

I am also wondering where in Peirce's writings you find the view that every 
Sign is "a triadic particular...existent in space and time."  On my reading, 
that would preclude any Sign from being truly general.

Regards,

Jon Alan Schmidt - Olathe, Kansas, USA
Professional Engineer, Amateur Philosopher, Lutheran Layman
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt<http://www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt> - 
twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt<http://twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt>

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 8:50 AM, Edwina Taborsky <[email protected]> wrote:

Gary, list:

I presume you are being sarcastic.

 I have always accepted the reality of generals and have posted this view 
frequently. What is Thirdness????? My point, also posted frequently,  is that 
these generals, as real, are only 'existential' within 'material' instances, 
i.e., Signs, which are a triadic particular...existent in space and time, 
whether as a concept/word or a material entity [bacterium]. I don't see that 
Reality/Generals have any existence 'per se' outside of their articulation 
within Signs...and this view has been stated often enough by me - and of 
course, by Peirce.

So, sarcasm aside - we await your next posting.

Edwina

On Mon 16/10/17 9:21 AM , [email protected] sent:
Edwina, List,

It’s good to see that you now accept the reality of generals, as your previous 
post appeared to reject it. That said, we need to focus on logical issues 
rather than metaphysical ones, as we dig deeper into Peirce’s Lowell lectures. 
For Lowell 2 especially, which is all about “necessary reasoning” and the logic 
of mathematics, we’ll need to clarify those issues. I’m ready to start posting 
from Lowell 2 tomorrow, unless others need more time to digest Lowell 1 before 
we move ahead.

As you are no doubt aware, CP 4.551 is a paragraph from “ Prolegomena to an 
Apology for Pragmaticism” (1906), which was his last and most complete public 
statement on Existential Graphs and their relation to his pragmaticism. In 
order to understand that context, and its place in Peirce’s whole system, I 
think we need to follow the development of EGs, starting with his first 
presentation of them to an audience, namely Lowell 2. Thanks to the SPIN 
project, we now have a chance to follow that development step by step. Peirce 
regarded this as the best way of resolving the logical issues we have been 
discussing in this thread. As someone with zero formal training in formal 
logic, I’m really looking forward to this as a way into deeper understanding of 
Peirce’s whole philosophy.

Gary f.

From: Edwina Taborsky [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: 16-Oct-17 08:24
To: [email protected]; Jeffrey Brian Downard
Subject: Re: Re: RE: RE: [PEIRCE-L] Lowell Lecture 1: overview

Jeff, list

"Thought is not necessarily connected with a brain. It appears in the work of 
bees, of crystals, and throughout the purely physical world"....not only is 
thought in the organic world but it develops there. But as there cannot be a 
General without Instances embodying it, so there cannot be thought without 
Signs"...4.551

Peirce was not a materialist, nor am I am materialist. I am not saying that 
there is nothing 'real' outside of the material world. I am saying that 
'reality' - understood as 'a General' only 'exists' within 'instances embodying 
it'.  This means that Mind/thought/reason...which is a General, functions 
within Signs, and Signs are triadic instances [see his explanation in the rest 
of 4.551]... A triadic Sign is a 'material' unit, in that it exists in time and 
space, even if it is existent only as a word rather than a bacterium.

Re your first two points - since deduction, induction, abduction, can be valid 
in themselves as a format, I presume you are talking about the true/false 
nature of their premises....and since the debate seems to be on the Nature of 
Truth - then this issue, the truth/false nature of the premises is relevant. 
Taking that use of the terms into account [truth/false nature of the premises] 
, I agree with your outline of these three forms of argument..

And I also agree with your other two points.

I don't see that my position, which rests on 4.551 and other similar outlines 
by Peirce, rejects or is any different from his analysis.

Edwina


-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
<http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm> 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .






----------------------------- PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or 
"Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to 
[email protected] . To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to 
[email protected] with the line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the 
message. More at http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .

----------------------------- PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or 
"Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to 
[email protected] . To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to 
[email protected] with the line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the 
message. More at http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .
----------------------------- PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or 
"Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to 
[email protected] . To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to 
[email protected] with the line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the 
message. More at http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .

-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to