Peircers,

Still cleaning up leftovers from last month ...
I spent some time trying to write a clearer version of that
last post on being vs. representing a universe of discourse.
Here's a link to my blog rewrite:

Peirce's 1903 Lowell Lectures • Comment 9
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2017/11/28/peirces-1903-lowell-lectures-%e2%80%a2-comment-9/

And here's a transcript:

Re: Peirce List Discussion • John Sowa

JFS:
  In 1911, Peirce clarified [the] issues by using two distinct terms:
  ‘the universe’ and ‘a sheet of paper’.  The sheet is no longer
  identified with the universe, and there is no reason why one
  couldn’t or shouldn’t shade a blank area of a sheet.

There is a difference between being a universe of discourse
and representing a universe of discourse.

• On the one hand we have an initial universe of discourse X.
  This provides the basis for a prospective object domain O
  to be constructed out of its elements as our description
  of the universe develops.

• On the other hand we have the various systems of signs that
  we use to represent aspects of the universe of discourse X.
  These go to make up whatever sign domain S and interpretant
  domain I are needed for the ongoing discussion and inquiry.

With logic as formal semiotics and semiotics as the study of
triadic sign relations, properly understanding how Peirce's
graphical symbol systems manage to represent universes of
discourse requires us to consider the larger contexts of
triadic sign relations in which they play their role.

Resources
=========

• Semeiotic
  http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/Semeiotic