List, John:

The issue of chirality is a critical issue in scientific philosophy.  The logic
of chirality is vastly more perplex than the simple logic of mathematics or
physics because it is necessary to invoke the logic of multiple scientific
symbol systems in a coherent manner such that the predicates of the entity are
coherent in all the relevant systems of logic. CSP recognized this. (EP2:159)

Your brief geometric explanation was “spot on” from the mathematical
perspective of space and motion.
For a book-length inquiry into the relationship between mathematical graph
theory of knots and chirality, see:
“When Topology Meets Chemistry” CUP, Flapan, 2000. (Minor technical errors, but
very sound over all.)

But, chemical chirality, in CSP’s lifespan, was defined in terms of Pasteur’s
(1822-1895) separation of two crystalline forms of tartaric acid (from wine
residues.) The sole difference between the two forms of the tartaric acid were
two geometric forms, VISIBLE to the naked eye and the rotation of polarized
light.  The two forms were identical in all other aspects; in chemical
composition (carbon, hydrogen and oxygen), molecular weight, chemical
reactivity and chemical reaction product and in physical attribute, melting
point, etc.

In the 1870’s, Van’t Hoff and LaBell, proved that this was only possible if the
central carbon atoms organized the four substituents in a form of a
tetrahedron. This requires that the four substituents must be separate and
distinct from each other.  If the four substituents are non-identical to each
other, then, if one observes the order FROM ANY of the FOUR corners of the
tetrahedron, then the arrangements of the other three will be either a
clock-wise or counterclockwise in the two crystal forms AND will rotate plane
polarized light in OPPOSITE directions.

The BIG question to CSP was how was this possible? He deemed it critical for
scientific philosophy of matter.
For example, in his lecture on phenomenology, (EP2, 159), ends with a
discussion of chirality and the laws of motion (Right—handed and Left-handed
screws)
  “There, then, is a physical phenomena absolute inexplicable by mechanical
action. This single instance suffices to overthrow the corpuscular philosophy.”

Thus, I think the notion of chirality was a significant factor in his mistaken
beliefs about the Boscowitz hypothesis.

I would note two further facts that are important in assessing the scientific
importance of chirality.

1. Virtually all biological molecules are chiral because virtually all the
chemical building blocks fro constructing the anatomy of living beings are
chiral.
2. Even the induced “taste” of chiral molecules differ.

We can compare the mathematical perspective of chirality with the chemical
perspective of chirality, because of the difference between geometric logic and
chemical logic, very roughly speaking:

1. The scaling of circles is not a possible logical action on atoms or
molecules, that is, atoms and molecules are not scalable in the mathematical
sense of topology.
2. The logical origin of chemical chirality is not the direction of motion of a
point on the circle, but, roughly speaking, the order of substitution of
structurally distinct radicals on a points of a tetrahedron, all bonded to a
central ligand.

Finally, I would note that the entire collection of facts about chemical
isomers (see Jeff D. post) illustrate the deep mathematical distinctions
between the meaning of chemical and physical symbols.

Cheers
jerry

BTW, see the book by the nobel laureate, R. Hoffmann for a deeper look on the
meaning of “isomers”.
The Same and Not the Same