List,

The following text from a few years later may throw some light on Peirce’s
remarks about “other categories” and how they differ from the “Universal
Categories,” which he also called “formal elements of the phaneron”:

[[ There can be no psychological difficulty in determining whether anything
belongs to the phaneron or not; for whatever seems to be before the mind ipso
facto is so, in my sense of the phrase. I invite you to consider, not
everything in the phaneron, but only its indecomposable elements, that is,
those that are logically indecomposable, or indecomposable to direct
inspection. I wish to make out a classification, or division, of these
indecomposable elements; that is, I want to sort them into their different
kinds according to their real characters. I have some acquaintance with two
different such classifications, both quite true; and there may be others. Of
these two I know of, one is a division according to the form or structure of
the elements, the other according to their matter. The two most passionately
laborious years of my life were exclusively devoted to trying to ascertain
something for certain about the latter; but I abandoned the attempt as beyond
my powers, or, at any rate, unsuited to my genius. I had not neglected to
examine what others had done but could not persuade myself that they had been
more successful than I. Fortunately, however, all taxonomists of every
department have found classifications according to structure to be the most
important. ]] — CP 1.288, from “πλ” (MS 295), identified in the Robin catalogue
as part of a draft of the 1906 “Prolegomena.”

Later in that same MS Peirce compares the “structure of the elements” to the
“valencies” which determine the columns in Mendeléeff's table of the chemical
elements. Here in the Lowell Lectures, though, Peirce emphasizes that when we
think of Secondness we naturally think of “two reacting objects, and along with
these, as subjects, their Reaction,” — but “these are not constituents out of
which the Secondness is built up”; rather each of them involves Secondness.
That is why Secondness (and Thirdness), though “conceptions of complexity,” are
indecomposable elements.

Gary f.