Gary f, Jon S, list,

Yes, what I gave are not examples but definitions of "immediate object,"
something I recognized immediately after sending it, but it was too late to
do anything about it because, despite the few seconds delay I have built
into my email system, it had already been sent.

I wonder why Peirce would consistently offer so many definitions which
include the idea that *all* signs have an immediate object if he weren't
convinced that that were so?This one, from 1907, even adds that without an
immediate object "a sign would not be a sign." Pretty definitive language
for him to use, I'd say.

1907 | Pragmatism | MS [R] 318:15

…all logicians have distinguished two objects of a sign: *the Immediate
object or object as the sign represents it, (and without this one, a sign
would not be a sign*); the other [the] Real object, or object as it is
independent of any particular idea representing it (emphasis added by GR).

As for your "stormy day" example, it's one which analyzes not any other
kind of sign but a proposition. Yes, it would be excellent if Jon or I (or
anyone) could find an example Peirce gives of an immediate object in a sign
other than a proposition. But, as I have looked at the matter over the
years, I would agree with Peirce in the definitions I offered that every
sign (at least those employed in human semiosis) has an immediate object
and that without one "a sign would not be a sign."

​So, like Jon S, I too am likely to remain unconvinced by Bellucci "that,
according to Peirce, only propositions have immediate objects"

Best,

Gary R
​

[image: Gary Richmond]