Gary f, list,

You wrote: "your concept of an “immediate object” is very different from
mine, because what you have in mind is *temporal* immediacy . . .I on the
other hand take “immediate” to mean “not mediate,” in contrast to the
dynamic object, which is *mediately* “present to the mind”

It is exceedingly difficult, as Peirce himself noted, to give clear and
simple examples of much in semiotics, that is, simple examples of semiosic
events, certain facets or aspects of semiosis and semeiotic--for example,
the various classes of signs, the immediate object, etc. And it has been
not infrequently noted that Peirce himself didn't offer many examples in
areas in which we might have hoped he would. But, again, it's difficult to
do that both in phenomenology and in certain parts of semiotics.

Differently from how you've characterized 'our views' of the immediate
object', I would suggest that what you've characterized as my "view" or
"concept" of the immediate object is not my view at all, but rather one of
my approaches to researching semiosis in actual experience as well as in
thought experiments. This is to say that what you call my "view" is rather
my one of my ways of examining semiosis as it occurs on the fly, in
existential reality, as process and in human experience of it. That
approach is *necessarily*  temporal. This is to my way of thinking a
legitimate way of examining human semiosis--one which Peirce himself
obviously employed. How else would one ever come to adequate semeiotic
theories? By examining the writings of others on the matter? That may help,
but seems to me insufficient.

Your own view as you presented it seems to me rather abstract, legitimate
in its own way and context. But I think you mischaracterize my view as
suggesting that it is a matter of mere "first impressions," for while I
sometimes begin there (as I do in some--but not all--of my phenomenological
research), that is hardly where I conclude my analysis.

So, in a word, my *concept* of the immediate object cannot be reduced to a
sense of mere "temporal immediacy" as you put it, but is perhaps best
suggested by this quotation, one in my recent list of quotations in which
Peirce states or infers that *all* signs have immediate objects.
1907 | Pragmatism | EP 2:407… the *requaesitum* which we have been seeking
is simply that which the sign “stands for,” or the idea of that which it is
calculated to awaken. [—] This *requaesitum* I term the *Object* of the
sign; - the *immediate* object, if it be the idea which the sign is built
upon,

And here one should, of course, take "idea" in that sense in which Peirce
often employs it to mean no mere abstraction but what comes before the mind.

I would not say that your understanding is incorrect, but it is entirely
theoretical. However, if you yourself see it as "quite different" from
mine, I would hope you would consider how abstract your concept is and how
concrete my experimental process is. My own view, as noted, is another
matter and to conflate the two is, I think, unfortunate.

But perhaps we're not as far apart as you'd suggested, and so I'm hoping
that we'll find some middle ground in this matter. But to reduce my view
(you wrote, "what you have in mind") as a matter of some mere sense of mine
of a  "temporal immediacy," when in fact it is not at all my view at all,
but part of my process, is for me at least, not presently very helpful as
we explore this interesting topic.

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]