Jerry C, Gary f, list,

You wrote: "I am not familiar with the notion of "(Partial) signs."

This is actually Gary f's coinage. In a post in this thread Gf offered
three Peirce quotations and commented on them. In his comments he suggested
that in these passages Peirce was saying that only the proposition (or
dicisign) has an Immediate Object.

Quotation/commentary #2:

[[ By a “Sign” is meant any Ens which is determined by a single Object or
set of Objects called its Originals, all other than the Sign itself, and in
its turn is capable of determining in a Mind something called its
Interpretant, and that in such a way that the Mind is thereby mediately
determined to some mode of conformity to the Original or Set of Originals.
This is particularly intended to define (very imperfectly as yet) a
Complete Sign. But a Complete Sign has or may have Parts which partake of
the nature of their whole; but often in a truncated fashion. ] MS 277,
c.1908]

Gf: A “Complete Sign” here sounds very like a proposition — which has or
may have Parts which partake of the nature of Complete Signs and may
therefore be called (Partial) signs, and therefore be said to have
immediate objects because they resemble propositions “in a truncated
fashion.”

Gf: Whatever Peirce means here by "a Complete Sign" (which "*may* have
Parts") and which I, perhaps mistakenly, recall means not just a
proposition, but any Symbol, it does not contradict the idea that every
even, shall we say, "Incomplete Sign" (like most of the 10 sign classes)
will have an immediate object (again, at least in human semiosis)

As Bellucci and Stjernfelt have argued, the Proposition (Dicisign) has
parts (I agree). Gary further suggest that when Peirce says in the
quotation above that "a Complete Sign has or may have Parts"  that this
sounds like he's referring to the proposition and that these Parts "may
therefore be called (Partial) signs." Again, he (and I believe Jeff) are
taking the position that only Dicisigns have Immediate Objects (although Gf
recently hedged on that assertion, so I'm not clear as to what his current
position on this topic is).

In any even, I commented in reply to his Comment #2 above:

GR: Whatever Peirce means here by "a Complete Sign" (which "*may* have
Parts") and which I, perhaps mistakenly, recall means not just a
proposition, but any Symbol, it does not contradict the idea that every
even, shall we say, "Incomplete Sign" (like most of the 10 sign classes)
will have an immediate object (again, at least in human semiosis).

As you may have gathered, I hold that all signs have Immediate Objects,
this following Peirce (see the several quotes to this effect). I'm not sure
what Peirce means by "Complete Sign" (I think he may mean any of the three
classes of Symbols), but whatever he meant, I coined my own expression,
"Incomplete Sign,"  to include the 7 other classes. That is, whatever
Peirce meant by 'Complete Sign', that it matters not a whit since any one
of the 10 classes will have an "*Immediate object or object as the sign
represents it**, (and without this one, a sign would not be a sign*)."

Gary f has not replied to my response to his three quotation and comments
(today he discussed only the final part of my message on techniques I
employ, making thought experiments or observing my own semioses  "on the
fly"), so I have no idea why he coined the expression "Partial) signs," nor
what he thinks of my response to his comment above nor his two other
comments.

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]