includes all. This is difficult. Maybe the solution lies in the
semiosis, when the interpretant (3ns) becomes a representamen (1ns)
again? I don´t know. Have to ponder, get back later. Or do you have
an idea what I am missing? Best, Helmut    04. Februar 2018 um 20:19
Uhr
 Von: "Edwina Taborsky"
        Helmut - I'll disagree. You are missing the triadic semiosic process
of O-R-I. You are missing the process of mediation between the Object
and the Interpretant - which is the action carried out by the
Representamen.

        Therefore - the Representamen is not 'the loud sound' -

        Edwina
 On Sun 04/02/18 2:13 PM , "Helmut Raulien" h.raul...@gmx.de sent:
Jon, Edwina, List, I think: - The representamen is the loud sound, and
everything connected with it in the situation (as the representamen is
also the sign, so including all following points too) - The dynamical
object is that, what the bird initially feels to be the source of the
loud sound, as this (imaginary) source really (not imaginary) is, and
as it is in the concepts of all other birds and all other creatures,
- The immediate object is what is initially arisen (imagined) in the
bird´s mind by the loud sound for being its source, - The immediate
interpretant is the reason the bird assumes having to fly away, - The
dynamical interpretant is really avoiding the (still imaginary) danger
by flying away, - The final interpretant is the real benefit achieved
by the bird, defined by what would really have happened if the bird
had not flown away. This was a quick shot. Now I guess, maybe there
is a pattern of combinations of "imaginary" and "real"... Best,
Helmut     02. Februar 2018 um 17:25 Uhr
 Von: "Jon Alan Schmidt"
  Edwina, List:   I has been a pleasant (and presumably mutual)
surprise to discover that, at least in the specific example of a bird
fleeing upon hearing a loud sound, our analyses of the semiosis
involved are substantially in agreement after all.
    *The Dynamic Object (DO) is the loud sound itself.
    *The Immediate Object (IO) is the bird's sensation of the loud
sound.
    *The Representamen (R) is, or at least includes, the bird's
neural pattern that stands for the loud sound.
    *The Immediate Interpretant (II) is the range of possible effects
of this neural pattern on the bird.
    *The Dynamic Interpretant (DI) is the actual effect of this
neural pattern on the bird, which is its flight.

  What remains unresolved is the "location" of the bird's collateral
experience and habits of interpretation; hence the new subject line.
This is an aspect of Peirce's overall semeiotic that I have been
wondering about for quite some time.  You place them within (or as)
the R, but I am still having a hard time seeing it that way in light
of Peirce's definition (in multiple places) of the R as that which
stands for the Object  to the Interpretant.  My sense is that these
elements are instead somehow bound up in what it means for the Object
to  determine the Sign to determine the Interpretant; i.e., collateral
experience is what enables the bird to "recognize" its sensation as
corresponding to the loud sound, while a habit of
interpretation--whether instinctive, learned, or both--is what
prompts the bird's response to be flight, rather than any of the
other possible effects.   One alternative is to designate the habit
of interpretation as the one correlate that is missing above--the
Final Interpretant (FI).  Up until now, my working hypothesis has
been that the FI is defined as the habit of
feeling/action/thought--i.e., the habit of interpretation--that the
Sign would produce.  However, I had in mind the habit that the
Receiver (in this case, the bird) would develop after sufficient
repetition of the same Representamen (in this case, the neural
pattern that stands for the loud sound).  I am starting to wonder if
instead we should define the FI as the   general tendency that
governs (but does not mechanically dictate) which actual DI is
produced by a particular Sign from among the various possibilities
that correspond to its II.  The FI would then be the cumulative
effect of all previous instances of semiosis that are somehow
relevant to this particular encounter with  this particular Sign.   I
will stop there and ask again--what do you think?  Feedback from
others would also be very welcome.   Thanks,   Jon S.