}1]Jon - to me, the Representamen is an act of mediation; it
transforms the data from the IO [Immediate Object] into an
Interpretation...

        So- to me, the loud sound is incoming sensate data; It doesn't act
as MIND, transforming this sound into some interpretation of it.

        I am, in the above, assuming that the Representamen is in a mode of
Thirdness [Mind]. For example, as

        O-R-I or a Rhematic Indexical Legisign, an individual interpretation
of local stimuli as referenced to a general rule.

        So- the bird's reaction/interpretation of the sound..is the habit of
flight.
         But- the Representamen can be in other modes.

        2] Now..let's see..what if it's instead in a mode of Firstness.

        this would have the triad [O-R-I] as a Rhematic Iconic Qualisign-
where all three parts of the Sign are in a mode of Firstness.
Peirce's example was that 'feeling of redness'; this example would be
a feeling of sound. A local and internal non-interpreted, non-describe
individual state.

        3] What if the Representamen were in a mode of Secondness. There are
three classes where the R is in a mode of Secondness:

        O-R-I   or 1-2-1 A Rhematic Iconic Sinsign. An individual diagram;
an iconic non-analyzed description of a sensation

        O-R-I or 2-2-1  A Rhematic Indexical Sinsign .  A spontaneous cry. a
local non-intentional reaction to a local and direct indexical
stimuli.

        O-R-I or 2-2-2- a Dicent Indexical Sinsign; a mechanical reaction.

        So - in the above - I could see that the Representamen could be in a
mode of Secondness..as a Rhematic Indexical Sinsign.

        ---------------------------

        But- in none of the above - do I define the loud sound as the
Representamen, since I maintain that its role is mediation.

        Edwina
 On Sun 04/02/18  7:13 PM , Jon Alan Schmidt jonalanschm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Edwina, List:
 Yes, again, we have very different definitions of "Representamen."
Just to clarify--are you saying that in your view, the loud sound
cannot be treated as the Representamen in any semiotic analysis of
this scenario?  If so, why not?
 Thanks,
 Jon S.