Edwina, List:

Just a few comments--not to start another argument, just to highlight more
differences in our views that are becoming apparent.

The loud sound involves the behavior of matter, which is effete mind, and
mediates between the falling tree and the fleeing bird; so I am still not
seeing why it could not be a Representamen if the scenario is analyzed in a
certain way.  Are you positing some kind of *discontinuity *in the semiosis
during the chain of events from the falling of the tree, to the loud sound
that it causes, to the impinging of the propagating sound waves on the
bird, to its resulting neural pattern, to its flight?  Otherwise, it seems
to me that *each *of these could be analyzed as a Representamen--even the
bird's flight, which might signal to another bird (say, a deaf one) that it
should flee, as well.

As I have stated a couple of times before, I consider our example to be one
in which all of the correlates are Existents (2ns); i.e., per the 1903 Sign
classification, it is an Indexical Sinsign, although I am inclined to agree
that it is Rhematic, rather than Dicent.  The bird's
reaction/interpretation of the Sign is the *individual *action of flight;
the *habit *was already in place before the loud sound ever happened.

Regards,

Jon S.