}The key action of semiosis that I am examining takes place within
the bird....the IO-Representamen-II.

        A Representamen is always internal to the triad.

        The loud sound is both the Dynamic Object - which causes the bird to
react and..a version of that loud sound within the bird's neurological
system is the IO.

        What mediates between the tree and the bird? The action of semiosis:
which is triadic - : O-R-I, or DO-IO-R-II-DI.

        The sound - which has affected the bird - is the Dynamic Object.

        The Representamen is the action of mediation within the Triad; it
doesn't stand alone.

        ------------------------

        A deaf bird would see the other bird flee; that would be the DO to
that deaf bird- the bird's flight.

        Then, the deaf bird's IO would be its neurological impression of
that other flight; mediated by its Representamen of knowledge of that
adrenalin rush...to its own II and then - its own DI or flight.

 No - I don't consider that the Representamen in these 'bird cases'
is in a mode of Secondness. It's in a mode of Thirdness - the
knowledge base, both biological and learned, of that bird.

 On Sun 04/02/18  8:42 PM , Jon Alan Schmidt jonalanschm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Edwina, List:
 Just a few comments--not to start another argument, just to
highlight more differences in our views that are becoming apparent.
 The loud sound involves the behavior of matter, which is effete
mind, and mediates between the falling tree and the fleeing bird; so
I am still not seeing why it could not be a Representamen if the
scenario is analyzed in a certain way.  Are you positing some kind of
discontinuity in the semiosis during the chain of events from the
falling of the tree, to the loud sound that it causes, to the
impinging of the propagating sound waves on the bird, to its
resulting neural pattern, to its flight?  Otherwise, it seems to me
that  each of these could be analyzed as a Representamen--even the
bird's flight, which might signal to another bird (say, a deaf one)
that it should flee, as well.
 As I have stated a couple of times before, I consider our example to
be one in which all of the correlates are Existents (2ns); i.e., per
the 1903 Sign classification, it is an Indexical Sinsign, although I
am inclined to agree that it is Rhematic, rather than Dicent.  The
bird's reaction/interpretation of the Sign is the  individual action
of flight; the habit was already in place before the loud sound ever
happened.
 Regards,
 Jon S.