Jon, Gary R, list:

        OK - let's try a human example, but it won't be different:

        DO: loud sound. It happens to be the old oak tree falling but I
don't know that.

        IO:  my hearing of the loud sound. IF I am partly deaf, I hear it
differently than my cat or dog or children or...

        R:  the Representamen consists of both my physiological and
cognitive MEMORIES. Some are innate [the neurological; some are
learned]. This Representamen accepts the sensate data from the IO
and, according to its full knowledge base....interprets that data.

        II:  this is my internal interpretation. It's 'honed and constrained
and organized by the combined memories of the Representamen...and I
become conscious of an external disturbance. ..ie.. I become aware
that it is not a dream; that it is existent and that it is outside of
me and that..it might be familiar...

        DI: I am articulate, conscious that this external force is outside
of me, is existent and is, since I've heard these noises before..the
sound of a tree falling and dredging up more of my memories from the
Representamen...I decide.."It's that old oak tree'.
        Now - the only difference between the bird and the human - is the
Representamen is more powerful in its stock of habits; and thus, sets
up a cognitive rather than physical reaction. The bird's DI is to
flee. The human will come up with a conceptual interpretant...

        Again - I emphasize the necessity of the semiosic action including
the action of habits. Jon's outline doesn't seem to include this and
I don't understand how any Interpretation can take place, except an
almost purely mechanical one, that doesn't include this force.

        Certainly, the classes of signs that do NOT include Thirdness
[habit-taking] DO exist, but only as a short-term event...and even
they, are 'nestled' within the body of something that DOES function
within habits....

        That is - Jon's suggestion that the bird-event is a rhematic
indexical sinsign only refers to the single event of the loud sound.
This is, as Gary R explains, the focus on the EXTERNAL.  But - when
we add in the RESULT, the bird's flight - we must include the
neurological habits of the bird, which are: 'run from danger' - and
so, the Interpretant is: flight.

 On Mon 05/02/18  8:33 AM , Edwina Taborsky tabor...@primus.ca sent:
}Jon, Gary R - I thought Gary R's quotes were excellent, pointing out
the necessity for memory/habits and their function in semiosis. What
carries out this function of habit? The Representamen.

        Edwina
 On Sun 04/02/18 10:31 PM , Jon Alan Schmidt jonalanschm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Gary R., List:
 Welcome back!  I hope that your recovery is going well, and that you
will soon be able to elaborate on these selectively highlighted
quotes, because frankly I am having trouble seeing how they bear on
our current non-human, non-cognitive example.
 Regards,
Jon Alan Schmidt - Olathe, Kansas, USA Professional Engineer, Amateur
Philosopher, Lutheran Laymanwww.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt [1] -
twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt [2]