Jon, list,

1.  I am inclined to agree with you on this.  As I understand it, the end
of semiosis--both its final cause and its termination--is the production of
a habit; a substance is a bundle of habits; and a material substance is a
bundle of habits that are so inveterate, it has effectively lost the
capacity for Habit-change.

Nicely said. And I would suggest that to the extent that a person has
"effectively lost the capacity for Habit-change," has become, say, 'set in
his ways' or 'married to his theories, that he is, in a sense, to that
extent intellectually 'hardened' or spiritually 'deadened'.

I'll be interested to see how you develop your idea that the "irreducibly
triadic action of semiosis" *requires* a Quasi-interpreter. I agree that
'things', especially those in nature, can serve as Quasi-utterers of
degenerate Signs.

2.  Something is a Sign by virtue of having a DO, an IO, and an II--not
necessarily a DI, so I do not see the relevance of the mother's inability
(at first) to interpret the Sign (correctly, in my view) as standing for
the hot burner.  She would presumably find this out very quickly, of
course, after rushing into the kitchen.

I disagree. Whether or not the mother interprets the DI (the cry of her
daughter) correctly or not, the cry is part of the child's semiosis, not
that of the mother. You continue:

The Dynamic Object determines the Sign--perhaps a neural signal of pain--of
which the girl's scream is a Dynamic Interpretant; and every Sign
determines its Interpretant to stand in the same relation to the Sign's
Dynamic Object as the Sign itself does.  Hence both the internal neural
signal and the external scream are *Indices *of the hot burner; at least,
that is how I see it at the moment.

I would say that the Interpretant standing in the same relation to the
Sign's DO as the Sign does concerns the child's sign only. I see the mother
as grounding (in the sense of semiotic 'determination') her Immediate
Object for *her, *the mother's) semiosis not in the distant burner but in
the cry of her child. So I still hold that the child is the Dynamic Object
of the mother's Sign action (semiosis). Again, in my understanding the
interpretant standing "in the same relation to the Sign's Dynamic Object as
the Sign itself does" applies to a different Sign, namely, that of the
child.

3.  Did you mean to say "Quasi-mind," rather than "Quasi-sign"?  My current
tentative definition of "Quasi-mind" is a bundle of Collateral Experience
and Habits of Interpretation (i.e., a *reacting substance*) that retains
the capacity for Habit-change (i.e., *learning by experience*), and thus
can be the Quasi-utterer of a *genuine *Sign (since this requires a
*purpose*) and the Quasi-interpreter of *any *Sign.

Yes, of course I meant Quasi-mind and not Quasi-sign (an impossibility, I'd
think). I'll have to reflect on your "current tentative definition of
'Quasi-mind' " which at first blush seems quite promising.

4.  I addressed this already in the "Aristotle and Peirce" thread.

It would be helpful for me if you'd comment on my thought that Edwina may
be using 'Form' in a different sense than Peirce such that in her sense it
*would* connect more to 3ns than to 1ns. And of course I'd be especially
eager to hear what Edwina thinks about that interpretation.

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]

*Gary Richmond*