Edwina, List:

Just to clarify, what is undeniable is that Peirce associated Form with 1ns *in
those two passages* (NEM 4:292-300, EP 2:304)--not as "freshness,
spontaneity," but as "quality, suchness" in one case and "characters, or
qualities" in the other.  I agree that he used "form" to mean other things
in other writings, including 3ns as you have outlined.  I am also familiar
with the various words that he associated with each Category on different
occasions; my specific question for you is which ones for 1ns and 2ns,
respectively, you would contrast with "form" as 3ns.  Put another way,
Peirce labeled the Categories as Form, Matter, and Entelechy in those two
passages; what would you put in the blanks to label them instead as _____,
_____, and Form?

I also remain interested in getting your responses to the following, as I
continue to gain a better understanding of your views on these matters.

a.  What do you make of Peirce's statements in "Pragmatism" (1907) that
habit-changes as "ultimate logical interpretants" are not Signs (CP 5.476),
or that habits as "final logical interpretants" are (at least) not Signs in
the same way as the Signs that produce them (EP 2:418)?

b.  What warrants analyzing the dissipation of a rock as (triadic) semiosic
action, rather than (dyadic) dynamical action?

c.  Do you have any specific comments on my latest tentative definition of
"Quasi-mind" as a bundle of Collateral Experience and Habits of
Interpretation (i.e., a *reacting substance*) that retains the capacity for
Habit-change (i.e., *learning by experience*), and thus can be the
Quasi-utterer of a *genuine *Sign (since this requires a *purpose*) and the
Quasi-interpreter of *any *Sign?

Thanks,