Gary f., list,

Your response presented as full an understanding of essential points in my post as I could ever hope. Even more, I was greatly and happily surprised.

And yes, of course there are any formulations of the ideas conveyed by the two short expressions he gave a final stamp of his approval by explicitly NAMING them AS The first and The second formulation of The Pragmatic Maxim (in EP vol 2). (Note the cardinals!)

He writes about them all the time, of course. In search of as good a linguistic expression as he was ever able to come up with.

But, at a later date he takes up the First of these feeling a need for a Second, which does not (in any way) contradict with accepting the First, but taking it into a further stage, so to speak.

I have not read your book, Gary. I do not read about Peirce, have not done so for centuries. Which, just as you write, gives much more weight and value to us both.

If you see my point on ordinality and cardinality, it is very, very exceptional. Simplest math is most difficult for both philosophers and mathematicians to understand. There is this cultural aura around math which seems to make people bow there heads and kneel. Instead of approaching the questions at hand head on.

I have always preached that it takes courage and guts to think properly and face the consequences of one's own thinking.

I am very happy to have had the experience of feeling understood in my old age with some issues I've almost given up hope with.

My sincere thanks to your, Gary f.

Kirsti