With respect to the comments below from both Kirsti and Gary F., as the old
joke goes, "I resemble that remark."  I am definitely someone who "often
finds that the thought is changed by the act of writing it down," and I
generally spend a lot of time (probably too much; almost an hour just on
this post) formulating and reformulating my words accordingly.  As another
variously attributed saying goes, "I write to find out what I think."  I
hope it is always evident that my own positions on various matters continue
to evolve, and I greatly appreciate having this forum for bouncing my
tentative and sometimes misguided ideas about Peirce off those of you who
have been wrestling with the relevant issues far longer than I have.

Kirsti:

Regarding the pragmatic maxim, as both Gary F. and Jon A. have pointed out,
Peirce offered more than two formulations.

   1. Consider what effects, that might conceivably have practical
   bearings, we conceive the object of our conception to have. Then, our
   conception of these effects is the whole of our conception of the object.
   (CP 5.402, EP 1:132; 1878)
   2. ... every theoretical judgment expressible in a sentence in the
   indicative mood is a confused form of thought whose only meaning, if it has
   any, lies in its tendency to enforce a corresponding practical maxim
   expressible as a conditional sentence having its apodosis in the imperative
   mood. (CP 5.18, EP 2:135; 1903)
   3. The entire intellectual purport of any symbol consists in the total
   of all general modes of rational conduct which, conditionally upon all the
   possible different circumstances and desires, would ensue upon the
   acceptance of the symbol. (CP 5.438, EP 2:346; 1905)
   4. In order to ascertain the meaning of an intellectual conception one
   should consider what practical consequences might conceivably result by
   necessity from the truth of that conception; and the sum of these
   consequences will constitute the entire meaning of the conception. (CP 5.9;
   c. 1905)
   5. ... the whole meaning of an intellectual predicate is that certain
   kinds of events would happen, once in so often, in the course of
   experience, under certain kinds of existential [conditions/circumstances].
   (CP 5.468, EP 2:402; 1907)

#1 is certainly the First one, but Peirce quoted it upon offering both #2
and #3 as different restatements of it; which of these were you identifying
as the Second one?  Do you think that the other three shed any further
light on what Peirce had in mind?

Thanks,