Gary R., List:

In your original presentation of this thought experiment, the child was a
toddler and did not scream "Maman" or any other recognizable word, but
simply "Aie!"  As such, I took it to be an involuntary reflex, such as any
of us likely would exclaim when surprised by pain, although as an
English-speaker I would presumably be more inclined to say something like
"Ouch!" or perhaps another four-letter expression.  Frankly, I find it
implausible that the first thing to come out of someone's mouth--especially
such a young one--upon touching a hot burner would be "Maman."

Be that as it may, further contemplation of this example already led me to
settle on new tentative answers to my own questions, and I discovered your
reply upon coming online to post them.  Your points below are well-taken,
especially once again correctly diagnosing my affinity for the abstract
over the concrete, a fault that I am unlikely ever to escape completely.

I now agree that what happens within the child is Sign-action, not dyadic
action/reaction, even if I retain the assumption--which you understandably
find dubious--that the steps from finger contact to vocal chord vibration
constitute a series of *dynamical *causes and effects.  The reason is
because of the potential (and perhaps probable) Habit-change that I
posited--the girl is capable of learning by experience, and hence acquiring
the new habit of *not *touching stove burners as the Final Interpretant of
this particular Sign.  My new hypothesis is that *any *action involving a
Mind (or Quasi-mind) as *either *utterer *or *interpreter is irreducibly
semiosic.

I also agree that if the child screams "Maman" it is a *genuine *Sign for
the mother, as any word *must *be.  That would make the girl its utterer,
since she would be *intentionally *producing it.  However, if the scream is
something truly *involuntary*, like I take "Aie!" to be, I am still
inclined to view it as a natural/degenerate Sign.  My other new hypothesis
is that *only *a Sign that has Minds (or Quasi-minds) as *both *its
utterer *and
*its interpreter--which may be two temporally sequential versions of the *same
*Mind (or Quasi-mind)--is *genuine*, the kind that exists in Replicas.