}Jerry, list - in reply to your comments:
        5.65 "All nature abounds in proofs of other  influences than merely
mechanical action"

        6.13 Now the only possible way of accounting for the laws of nature
and for uniformity in general is to suppose the results of evolution.
this supposes them not to be absolute  not to be obeyed precisely. It
makes an element of indeterminacy, spontaneity, or absolute chance in
nature.

        6.14 "exact law obviously never can produce heterogeneity out of
homogeneity; and arbitrary heterogeneity is the feature of the
universe the most manifest and characteristic.

        6.21 "The one primary and fundamental law of mental action consists
in s tendency to generalization. Feeling tends to spread; connections
between feelings awaken feelings; neighouring feelings become
assimilated; ideas are apt to reproduce themselves" [NOTE: I use this
to refer to 'networking of relations]

        6.23 "The law of habit exhibits a striking contrast to all physical
laws in the  character of its commands. A physical law is absolute.
What it requires is an exact relation....On the other hand, no exact
conformity is required by the mental law. Nay, exact conformity would
be in downright conflict with the law; since it would instantly
crystallize thought and prevent all further formation of ha bit. The
law of mind only makes a given feeling more likely to arise" {NOTE:
the point of Thirdness is its tendency to generalize, to reduce
specificity and thus enable networked commonality and enable
connections with diverse objects]

        6.59 "By thus admitting pure spontaneity or life as a character of
the universe, acting always and everywhere thought restrained within
narrow bounds by law, producing infinitesimal departures from law
continually, and great ones with infinite infrequency, I account for
all the variety and diversity of the universe...[NOTE: FIrstness or
chance/ spontaneity is a basic component of the university, just as
the tendency to generalize or take habits is yet another basic
component]

        6.64 "I point first to the phenomenon of growth and developing
complexity, which appears to be universal, and which, though it may
possibly be an affair of mechanism perhaps, certainly presents all
the appearance of increasing diversification. Then, there is variety
itself, beyond comparison the most obtrusive character of the
universe; no mechanism can account for this"

        Peirce writes of how the 'necessitarian' will reject chance, will
focus instead on the 'regularity of the universe' - which Peirce
writes, is a focus that severs "only to block the road of inquiry'

        [NOTE: I consider that the focus on specific and closed definitions
is an aspect of Secondness - and such a focus ignores the two other
modes, both of which enable the dynamic and adaptive nature of
Peircean semiosis].

        Edwina
 On Thu 01/03/18  3:56 PM , Jerry Rhee jerryr...@gmail.com sent:
        Dear Edwina, list,
        I support you and appreciate you for saying what you believe in
earnest,

        but it seems to me that when you say
        “My view of Peircean semiosis is its dynamic transformic nature;
its capacity to enable the world to operate as a complex adaptive
system”,
        and you continually run up against the following of which you divest
yourself:

        “focus on singular definitions of terms as a clarification of
Peircean semiosis but instead, as an obscuring of it”,
        then either we’re being absurd by thinking your interpretation
somehow allows such dynamic transformation or we’re missing
something critical.
        Surely, there must be a way out and Peirce has given us this
somewhere.

        So, where is it and how shall we know it?
        Best,
 Jerry R